RIP Queenie

• 6 Replies

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
RIP Queenie
« on: October 13, 2011, 10:06 »
Came home yesterday afternoon to find my Queenie lying in the run.  She was cold and stiff and had obviously been gone a while.  No idea what happened but others are fine.

I'd had my four ex-batts for over two years now and, although we've had a couple of trips to the vets with one or another of them, they've always been fine in the end.

I guess I was lucky to have all four for as long as I did and I assume that her poor little ex-batt body had just had enough.

But my heart is breaking. I am very rarely out of the house for very long but went to visit my parents yesterday and so was gone for a good few hours. Can't shake the feeling that, if I'd been here, maybe maybe I could have done something to save her...

Springlands

Re: RIP Queenie
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 12:25 »
Amanda - if you have had your ex-batts for over two years that means that they are about 3+  years old - and you would really not expect an ex-batt to live for much more than that.

They would have had a hard life before coming to live with you and you have given them a good life. Even if you were in the house all day you would not necessarily have been able to do anything to help - as you say old age has caught up with your girl.

You can comfort yourself with the fact that you looked after Queenie well and that she had a good life.

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 13:02 »
Thank you for your kind words - it means a lot

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 13:31 »
Really sorry to hear about your hen.

I can imagine how sad you are feeling but I agree with Springlands - Queenie had a great 2 years with you.

Also at least she went quickly rather than having some lingering ailment or you having to make a decision, if you know what I mean - there is a lot to be said for that.

Helen

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 14:27 »
That's what I keep telling myself - that she had two years rolling around the back garden, with a clean and comfy house at night, porridge for breakfast when it was cold, mealworms and sweetcorn for supper some days - and that she had lots of time to feel the sun on her feathers.  That she had the best I could give her after her horrible start in life.

And, yes, you're quite right - she went quickly, and I didn't have to make the decision to let her go (which I would have done, rather than let her suffer, if I had to).

As the note my daughter put in with her - "We'll miss you, sleep well little one".

I feel like my heart's breaking and feel so daft, getting so distraught about a chicken, so I guess I came back to the place where I asked for all my advice when I first got them - to this forum.  Because I knew people here would understand.

Thank you for your replies - I can't tell you how much they help.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 15:54 »
It's only natural that you should get upset about a loss. We put so much care and effort into looking after them, and they are such endearing creatures, it's only natural to get very fond of them  :)

They can die very suddenly, and has already been said, at least she wasn't suffering  :)

NormandyMary

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 20:04 »
Im so very sorry to hear of Queenie's passing Amanda. Please rest assured that there would have been nothing you could have done to save her had you been at home. It sounds that her last years were wonderful with you, you should be proud that you were able to afford her 2 years of open space and sunshine, with good food a very caring owner. Queenie is now in that great place called Chookie Heaven, rosey around with all our other little angels.
Big hugs from France.

Mary.

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 28 queries.