sick chicken

• 10 Replies

Rita

sick chicken
« on: October 12, 2011, 20:27 »
i had a chicken who kept losing her balance and stopped eating she was like it for 1 day and then died, all the others fine, today 3 weeks later i have another chicken showing the same symptoms sleeping all the time losing her balance not eating or drinking, does anyone know what the problem is.

hillfooter

Re: sick chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 20:57 »
This sounds like a very serious condition called Mareks Disease.  There's no cure.  If this is what it is it's highly infectious so you should get a vet to confirm diagnosis.  If it is mareks disease you need to start again with new stock after a very extensive clean up operation maybe requiring the removal of top soil if you want to keep chx again.  Google for further information.

Sorry to raise this possibility and I hope that it isn't, but Mareks is so serious that you need to be sure before you do anything else and strict biosecurity is essential to avoid carrying the disease and exposing other birds.
HF
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 20:59 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

haychickilady

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 21:48 »
How old are your chickens Rita? X

Rita

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 18:22 »
my first chicken to die was not even 1 year old, today my old girl who was 6 years old died.
i have 4 chickens left does that mean they are all going to die.
 :(

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 21:02 »
Don't jump to conclusions Rita you need to get a proper diagnosis from a vet.

Your old girl being 6 could have gone at any time it could just be coincidence. 

There are also other problems which cause nervous system problems including food poisoning (Botulism) which will clear up if the source of toxin is removed, Algae poisoning though it's rare in chx and is very fast acting with birds dieing within minutes of drinking toxin. 

Were there any other symptoms you noticed like spasms or twisted neck or splayed legs, pale comb, grey eye or irregular shaped iris for example. Without a positive diagnosis no one can predict what might happen.

You need to keep your birds under observation and any which show symptoms take to a vet.
HF

Rita

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 21:30 »
i will be keeping a very close eye on them all.

the symptoms that they both showed was the same, wobbly on the legs, kept falling asleep even when i was trying to administer some extra vit, not eating and huddling in the corner, also diarrhoea, just before she died she did a yellow frothy poo.

goodness knows what it is, i don't think it is marek disease.

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 22:13 »
That doesn't sound like Mareks which has more nervous system problems like spasms uncoordination, splayed legs twisted neck etc.  If it isn't that's good news. You have wormed these birds haven't you as often foamy yellow droppings are a sign of a bad worm disorder.  If so what product did you used Flubenvet I hope.

HF

Rita

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 20:28 »
yes they were wormed 1 month ago with flubenvet, i am worried about the others, so far they are doing well, they are sorting out the pecking order as my first two that died were the top chickens. the other question is at the bottom of my garden i have a honeysuckle could that poison them, would they eat it if it's poisonous for them.... :unsure:

bexybeck

• wipster
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 21:52 »
Sorry about your hens Rita :(

Not all honeysuckle varieties are toxic, but unless your hens were eating a LOT of berries it wouldn't likely do much harm other than a bit of a stomach upset.

Mine are quite picky about what they eat, but don't necessarily stay away from the stuff that's bad for them.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 21:58 by bexybeck »

Rita

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 19:53 »
thank you for all your help, i only hope my other girls will stay healthy, i scrubbed out their house with jays fluid as it said it will kill bird flu and others things so i thought i would give it a go, i always poo pick there house every day and clean it out every 3rd day.
i have been giving them cider vinegar in there water, extra vits.

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 20:54 »
thank you for all your help, i only hope my other girls will stay healthy, i scrubbed out their house with jays fluid as it said it will kill bird flu and others things so i thought i would give it a go, i always poo pick there house every day and clean it out every 3rd day.
i have been giving them cider vinegar in there water, extra vits.

You're doing all you can Rita and obviously caring for them so if things are going wlll I wouldn't get worried.
Jeyes fluid is a reasonable disinfectant to use.  I don't think you need over do the cleaning.  Your birds will not be suffering from bird flu.  I also doubt that honeysuckle would be a problem.

Best wishes
HF

sad
Help..sick chicken

Started by Kezza on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 23, 2012, 10:44
by Kezza
xx
Sick chicken...?

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 10:47
by compostqueen
xx
sick chicken

Started by stav on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 09:12
by joyfull
xx
sick chicken help!!

Started by hoppyfloppy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2007, 12:20
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.812 seconds with 36 queries.