Pooh picking & Treats

• 5 Replies

tracy66

Pooh picking & Treats
« on: October 12, 2011, 19:52 »
Hi

It goes without saying we pooh pick out of the coop and nest box every morning before work but are we going over the top by pooh picking the run every night in the dark when we get home from work!?
Just didn't know if it harms our chooks if we did it every 3 days say?

Also we currently are giving them cabbage leaves and about 8 seedless grapes(which they absolutely love!!) in a feeder every day as a treat as well as their layer pellets ad lib and a small handful of corn thrown in for them to scratch for is this too much (we only got them at the weekend so are probably spoiling them to help them settle in)

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 20:09 by tracy66 »
3 chooks - April, May & Julie
1 Retired Greyhound - June

hillfooter

Re: Pooh picking & Treats
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 20:18 »
I never poo pick either house or run as the house is designed so the birds have no access to the droppings because it falls through the roosting bars onto a dropping area which they can't get into.  My birds are pretty healthy.

However if you never move them to new ground the worm load is reduced by poo picking and the likelihood of infection reduced to some extent.  

So it depends whether your house design is good and prevents the birds picking in their droppings and how many chx you have, how big is their run and how often if ever you move it to new ground.  

That said I doubt that every night it's essential so it's really up to you what you feel comfortable doing.

Giving them treats may seem innocent but I'd seriously consider stopping doing this more often than a couple of times a week and then in an evening only.  Chicken quickly get to learn that there are treats coming and they neglect their staple feed in order to tuck into corn or meal worms or in your case grapes.  Also you become conditioned by a mutual gratification process to keep doing it.  Ie you get cupboard love and they get fed nice things.  

It's so easy to convince ourselves that a handful or two does no harm.  That's what many mothers think and why we have lots of over weight kids storing up problems for the future.

HF
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 20:31 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 22:28 »
One of my favourite hobbies is following Hillfooter around and disagreeing with him.  :D

I say a few treats won't do any harm!  In your case the treats are mostly fruit and vegetables - a cabbage leaf and a few grapes shared between three hens.  My pullets get to run around on pasture all day and eat a huge amount of grass and weeds (and flowers, bugs, windfall fruit...) which I consider as much a part of their staple diet as the pellets I provide.  If I had to confine my chickens I would make sure I provided them plenty of fruit and vegetables.  Cabbage leaves and grapes are not going to make them fat.  :)

As for the handful of corn to scratch about for, I think the scratching about is often more of a treat than the corn!  What if you took a handful of pellets out of their feeder and tossed them on the ground.  Would they (and you) still get as much pleasure from the scratching about?  

Poo picking is simple - I don't enjoy it so I have a housing system that doesn't require it.

If your nest boxes need poo picking each day, are your chickens sleeping in them?  If you could train them to sleep on roosting bars you shouldn't need to poo pick the nests and the eggs will stay perfectly clean.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 22:40 by Lindeggs »

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 22:37 »
Poo-picking is something everyone does differently as all the set-ups are different: do what you feel comfortable with - because if you push yourself to be too obsessive, it'll become a real chore, instead of a pleasant time with your girls.

Depending on your coop, you may find it necessary to poo-pick daily (I do), but the area they live in is quite big so I poo-pick as & when I have time.

I'm with Lindeggs re the veg you're giving your girls: if they were completely free to roam, they'd eat loads of veg so I consider that chucking a small amount of a lot of different things into their run is almost like taking the free range to the penned chickens. 

However, I would't buy special treats like mealworms as the girls don't have a priority scale for extras: is it edible?  It's a treat, then.   
ManicMum

Raven81

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 22:49 »
I poo pick the coop every day but the run is just soil which I turn over with a fork every few days.

I originally started giving them treats such as mealworms in the evening, but, as mentioned above, they didn't eat their layers pellets to save up for it. 

I personally feed mine layers pellets and then in the evenings I add water to make it into a mash as a change for them, with a little corn or something mixed in.  They go crazy for it.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 23:29 »
Quote from: Lindeggs link=topic=84783.msg 943332#msg 943332 date=1318454922
One of my favourite hobbies is following Hillfoot around and disagreeing with him.  :D

I say a few treats won't do any harm!  In your case the treats are mostly fruit and vegetables - a cabbage leaf and a few grapes shared between three hens.  My pullets get to run around on pasture all day and eat a huge amount of grass and weeds (and flowers, bugs, windfall fruit...) which I consider as much a part of their staple diet as the pellets I provide.
"Giving them treats may seem innocent but I'd seriously consider stopping doing this more often than a couple of times a week and then in an evening only.  Chicken quickly get to learn that there are treats coming and they neglect their staple feed in order to tuck into corn or meal worms or in your case grapes.  Also you become conditioned by a mutual gratification process to keep doing it.  Is you get cupboard love and they get fed nice things. 

It's so easy to convince ourselves that a handful or two does no harm.  That's what many mothers think and why we have lots of over weight kids storing up problems for the future. HF"

Lindeggs makes my point very well.  It's not what was being given but the frequency and quantity that I was suggesting be cut down on the basis that chx learn quickly that treats are to be had by begging and so don't eat their pellets.  Personally I'm a believer that if you don't eat up your greens you don't get your pudding.

We have a bunch of free rangers who wander the garden.  Carole used to throw them a handful of corn whenever she saw them near the house "because they were cute" and she was worried they weren't getting enough to eat.  Pretty soon they learnt that hanging around the back door was a sure way to a handful of corn.  They took to completely ignoring their pellets and just demanding corn.  Sometimes coming through the conservatory into the house to rouse us.  I eventually had to stop the habit because they were also recruiting other hens from their run to join them so what started out as a couple got to be about 7 hens begging corn and precious little pellets being eaten.  Had I just stuck to one handful of corn a couple of times a week in their run on an irregular basis I'm sure this wouldn't have happened.

Does it really matter - well probably not after all they are pets so if they perform for our pleasure and amusement that's probably all part of the deal. :unsure:

Back on your head lindeggs ::)

HF

xx
Watery pooh?

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 12:24
by agapanthus
xx
Strange pooh

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 06, 2010, 18:36
by Tigerwren
xx
blood in pooh

Started by p00rstudent on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 11:07
by Vember
xx
Pooh ..just out of inerest.

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 11:42
by joyfull

Page created in 0.614 seconds with 36 queries.