Pollytunnel information required please advise.

• 34 Replies

mkhenry

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 21:06 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
Quote from: "mkhenry"

Wilco thanks for that. :wink:

Never seen any in our Wilco's. :lol:

Its lucky Im on the naughty step and I cannot reach you from here Digger :shock: ,I know I asked for that. :lol:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

mkhenry

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 21:08 »
Quote from: "shaun"
i think a deck chair or a hammock would be better henry,it can get mighty hot in there.

Actually heat might be a problem for me Shaun does it get hotter than the average greenhouse. :?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 21:09 »

Its lucky Im on the naughty step and I cannot reach you from here Digger :shock: ,I know I asked for that. :lol:

Good job you didn't say "Roger Wilco" - that would have given me some scope! :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mkhenry

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 21:13 »

Good job you didn't say "Roger Wilco" - that would have given me some scope! :lol:

Your right it could have meant us having to squash up on the step though. :wink:

shaun

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2007, 21:15 »
i think a deck chair or a hammock would be better henry,it can get mighty hot in there.

Actually heat might be a problem for me Shaun does it get hotter than the average greenhouse. :?

we have a mesh grill on the right hand side for a bit of ventilation,you can just make it out in the pic,it dont have much effect on the heat,when the sun is high in the sky its clocked just over 40c in there
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

mkhenry

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 21:22 »

we have a mesh grill on the right hand side for a bit of ventilation,you can just make it out in the pic,it dont have much effect on the heat,when the sun is high in the sky its clocked just over 40c in there

I thought so just about the same as a badly vented green house.I could put up with that,but Jacnel has got me thinking that I could start with one of these smaller Ebay ones,plus Gobs gets on with them by the sound of it.So I may give them a go to see if I like the idea thanks to you all,I will spend a few days checking it out. :wink:

mkhenry

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2007, 21:25 »
One last check,Munty have you seen the smaller ones on Ebay,do you think they might do the job of the bigger ones,.Or would I be better off with 8 x 6 green house.
What do you think Richy,and you Shaun. :lol

muntjac

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2007, 21:27 »
its down to cost with me . i have had both but i got my greenhouses for free and the 2 new ones come with the garden :wink:
still alive /............

mkhenry

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2007, 21:34 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
its down to cost with me . i have had both but i got my greenhouses for free and the 2 new ones come with the garden :wink:

Basically did the plastic greenhouse or polytunel do the job.Because if it did there is a 12' one for sale at only 42 quid that I will give a try if they do work. :lol:

gobs

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2007, 21:41 »
Quote from: "jacnal"
Quote from: "gobs"
There were some for a good starting price on e-bay a week ago, WG, check it out!

I bought one on ebay last week - arrived Friday. It seems big - I've not opened it yet, but I think it's about 7ft high, 7ft wide and 12ft long. I take it that's big (I understand metric more), as I'm 5ft 7inches tall, so can fit in there! It cost £62 including postage.

Im looking on Ebay now but I want a more commercial one.The green covered ones look ok they will help in the high summer heat.So thanks Jacnel would love to hear how you get on with yours.

You know what you are talking about. That the green ones help in high summer is an understatement :wink:  :wink:  :wink: , I have both types, whatever it looks like I never want one that is not shaded like that, I have my reasons...
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

muntjac

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2007, 21:44 »
i dont have plastic houses mate  mines all glass and aluminum. they both do the same job as far im concerned

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2007, 21:45 »
Mine is 24ft long by 21 foot wide, supposed to be 18t wide I think, but OH dug the trench too wide!!! lol

I haven't yet tried to heat it, so haven't grown all year round, but I grow most of my tomatoes down one side, and despite the blight, they are still going strong.  I had about 60 tom plants in there this year, the rest were in the greenhouses.  Then on the other side this year I grew cucumbers (the ones that turned in to melons!) and proper melons.  Only 12 chilli and pepper plants, as that's all that grew, and peas and runner beans.  I've now got 2 rows of perpetual spinach and a row of carrots in, and once the toms are finished, I've got some leeks that I'm going to try.  Last year I grew my leftover seed potatoes in there.  The yield wasn't huge, and the haulms were very leggy, due to the opaque polythene, but they were nice, no diseases or pests.  Last year I also grew some brassicas, but they sufferend from millions of whitefly.

The only thing wrong with a poly, is that I find the temperatures differ more than in a greenhouse.  During the day the thermometer can go sky high, even in winter, but the temps drop drastically at night.  So if I decided to heat anything, it would be my smallest greenhouse.

Don't know if that helps at all????

[/IMG]

mkhenry

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 21:51 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
i dont have plastic houses mate  mines all glass and aluminum. they both do the same job as far im concerned

Thanks Munty I think a polytunnel is a posibilty next year when I have given the smaller one a go. :lol:

mkhenry

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2007, 22:00 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Mine is 24ft long by 21 foot wide, supposed to be 18t wide I think, but OH dug the trench too wide!!! lol

I haven't yet tried to heat it, so haven't grown all year round, but I grow most of my tomatoes down one side, and despite the blight, they are still going strong.  I had about 60 tom plants in there this year, the rest were in the greenhouses.  Then on the other side this year I grew cucumbers (the ones that turned in to melons!) and proper melons.  Only 12 chilli and pepper plants, as that's all that grew, and peas and runner beans.  I've now got 2 rows of perpetual spinach and a row of carrots in, and once the toms are finished, I've got some leeks that I'm going to try.  Last year I grew my leftover seed potatoes in there.  The yield wasn't huge, and the haulms were very leggy, due to the opaque polythene, but they were nice, no diseases or pests.  Last year I also grew some brassicas, but they sufferend from millions of whitefly.

The only thing wrong with a poly, is that I find the temperatures differ more than in a greenhouse.  During the day the thermometer can go sky high, even in winter, but the temps drop drastically at night.  So if I decided to heat anything, it would be my smallest greenhouse.

Don't know if that helps at all????

[/IMG]

That is a great poltunnel but what a size,I having so little to do with them over the years am still a little confused.I think I want to create a permaculture and grow all the round rather just a different type of green house.Your info will help me greatly so thanks for that. :lol:
I will start off with a smaller one as I have already said and if thats ok next but one season I will get a bigger one.But it will not be as big as yours,which is a great shame. :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2007, 22:18 »
Theres one in the Leicester Mercury for £100 if anyone's interested 30' x20'  8)
too much £ for me else I'd ave had it.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
Novice in need of compost and information...

Started by Cam67 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 10:02
by surbie100
xx
More possible useful information for people starting off on an allotment?

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 09, 2018, 08:17
by Veg Plot 1B
xx
Gavins gem squash information page..

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 15, 2012, 08:07
by arugula
clip
Peas - Back of Pack information

Started by cadalot on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 21:52
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.886 seconds with 36 queries.