Over rampant cockerel.

• 15 Replies

NormandyMary

Over rampant cockerel.
« on: October 11, 2011, 07:43 »
I feel so sorry for my poor little chooks. It turns out that Jethro (formerly Colin) the cockerel is a rampant sex fiend. The minute I let them out first thing in the morning, he's chasing the girls to jump on their backs. Now, some of the girls dont come out straight away, thinking they are going to escape his attentions. No such luck, once he's tried with the girls outside, he goes back in the henhouse where he has a captive audience! He even walks around in a funny way when he comes out of the house until he has his wicked way.
I really feel that for the sake of my girls, I should lock him up in the second house we have on his own with a pile of chick mags to give my poor girls a rest. I hope that he will start to calm down a bit soon, its like he's just found a new toy and wants to play with it all the time. At least with 9 chooks, it is safety in numbers!
Does anyone else have an oversexed cockerel?

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
Re: Over rampant cockerel.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:46 »
i used to have a marans cockerel and a farmyard mixed bantam which used to tag team on my girls....one of them was so terrorised, she didn't lay a single egg until the day after we necked the bantam (the marans went before the bantie)!

one youngster used to get it all the time and would stay huddled in the corner of the run until let out when she would hide under a bush. it was only after the boys were dispatched what the little youngster began to crow that we realised she was in fact a he!

1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 13:57 »
Every morning my Welsumer boy is running around after the ladies, but he is getting old now and the ladies can outrun him! He tries a few times and gives up and has some breakfast and then leaps upon an unsuspecting hen when she's got her head in the feed and can't see him sneaking up on her! It's a very successful method he's recently developed, but I've no doubt they will catch on and evade him yet again.

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 14:55 »
Burst out laughing when reading this thread.  :lol: :lol: Especially the bit about the Welsumer sneaking up on the lady hens.

My drake is as bad - when the ducks are drinking he sneaks up on them - sometimes he is sucessful but sometimes they manage to escape.

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 15:17 »
Burst out laughing when reading this thread.  :lol: :lol: Especially the bit about the Welsumer sneaking up on the lady hens.

My drake is as bad - when the ducks are drinking he sneaks up on them - sometimes he is sucessful but sometimes they manage to escape.

If I feed a porridge mash I can only do it in the afternoon after he's calmed down a bit, because he's going to suffocate one of my girls if she's got her head in the porridge bowl when he strikes!

NormandyMary

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 21:45 »

If I feed a porridge mash I can only do it in the afternoon after he's calmed down a bit, because he's going to suffocate one of my girls if she's got her head in the porridge bowl when he strikes!
LOVE IT!!! :D

Junie

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 22:47 »
My Co-Nu cockerel was the same, he was much bigger than most of the girls, and would work his way round, once let out.  We have a smaller hen, more the size of a bantam ( she stands her ground) who seemed to be his favourite, but when he was on top of her, you couldn't see her! hence the name Squish.
Poor Dover went in the pot as he turned aggresive!! The girls have laid better since and seem much happier!

NormandyMary

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 15:24 »
My girls dont seem to mind Jethro, in fact they are quite fond of him as far as I can tell. I just wish that he didnt get so excited first thing in the morning..bless him.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 23:19 »
My girls dont seem to mind Jethro, in fact they are quite fond of him as far as I can tell. I just wish that he didnt get so excited first thing in the morning..bless him.

I feel that whatever comment I make in response to this is likely to be deleted, so I will tread very carefully.  :tongue2:

Males of many species have a lot in common, but the females remain quite fond of them despite it all.  ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 06:24 »
how many hens do you have for him? Sometimes a cockerel will choose just one hen to be his favoured hen and will grab her at any opportunity. This will lead to a lot of feather loss and if his spurs are sharp he may tear her sides. When he gets older (in a few years time) he may settle down and become more gentle but in the meantime I would suggest fitting the hens with poultry saddles.
Staffies are softer than you think.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 17:04 »
I feel so sorry for my poor little chooks. It turns out that Jethro (formerly Colin) the cockerel is a rampant sex fiend. The minute I let them out first thing in the morning, he's chasing the girls to jump on their backs. Now, some of the girls dont come out straight away, thinking they are going to escape his attentions. No such luck, once he's tried with the girls outside, he goes back in the henhouse where he has a captive audience! He even walks around in a funny way when he comes out of the house until he has his wicked way.
I really feel that for the sake of my girls, I should lock him up in the second house we have on his own with a pile of chick mags to give my poor girls a rest. I hope that he will start to calm down a bit soon, its like he's just found a new toy and wants to play with it all the time. At least with 9 chooks, it is safety in numbers!
Does anyone else have an oversexed cockerel?

I could have written this myself it sounds just like our Pingu. Once he's had his wicked way with the first 2 he calms down a bit and it's safe for the others to come out. I love watching him strut his stuff and do his little dance even if the girls are not impressed. To be honest he's so randy in the mornings I think he'd even have a go at our dog if she got too close! (seem to remember being something like that myself many years ago) :lol: He's 18 months old and has 6 girls to choose from.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 17:11 by themagicaltoad1 »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 19:33 »
My two little serama boys jump their girls every morning as well and will go into the hen house after them  ::)

As Alphie has two big buxom bantie orps to contend with and Foghorn has all sizes from Yoda the serama to Beyonce the very buxom bantie orp, I'm not sure how much action they are actually getting, but it doesn't stop them trying  ;)  :lol:

Foggie comes unstuck with Fat Bird - my 6 year old silver laced wyandotte.  She will have none of it and an attempt to jump her ends with running like hell as she chases round the run.  Then a lost of posturing and feather shaking out to try and get some respect back from the other girls, who I swear laugh their heads off at the spectacle  :lol:

NormandyMary

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 19:59 »
So glad that Im not alone in having a cockerel with a large appetite! ;) Jethro has 9 girls to choose from, he does seem to prefer the blondes, the light sussex, but then again he is a light sussex cockerel. I dont know if this makes any difference. If they are giving him the bums rush then he'll try his luck with anything he can catch, any port in a storm and all that!

Helenaj

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 07:46 »
If they are giving him the bums rush then he'll try his luck with anything he can catch, any port in a storm and all that!

Typical male then!

Springlands

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 10:20 »
If they are giving him the bums rush then he'll try his luck with anything he can catch, any port in a storm and all that!

Typical male then!

:nowink: :nowink: 

sad
Hen now cockerel

Started by The Goods on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post January 07, 2013, 21:06
by Paul Plots
xx
Scared cockerel

Started by Pretty Chick on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 23:53
by raeburg
clip
Hello and help need to re home a Cockerel

Started by IanFM on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2020, 14:12
by Aunt Sally
xx
Noisy cockerel is no more

Started by Clarie on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post October 20, 2010, 12:33
by Clarie

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 38 queries.