Cockerel with terrible eye problem - help please!

• 8 Replies

Bumblebee1

Cockerel with terrible eye problem - help please!
« on: October 09, 2011, 08:53 »
Hello, I am hoping someone with some knowledge of chicken eye problems can help me!  My bantam cockerel, Barney, has a problem with one eye - the left side of his head is swollen and when he opens his eye, the place where his eye should be is just red - no pupil, nothing, just red.  Has he lost his eye? He is acting perfectly normally, seems to be his usual happy self.  Whatever has happened would only have happened between putting them to bed on Thursday night and getting them up yesterday morning. 

I have taken a photo of it, not sure how to post it on here though :(

Bumblebee1

Re: Cockerel with terrible eye problem - help please!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 08:59 »
Ah, here's a photo - someone please help me, he was supposed to be re-homed yesterday and I can't take him until this is sorted - I dread a huge vet bill
IMAG0425.jpg

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 09:04 »
Hello Bumblebee1 and welcome to the forum  :)
I'm so sorry to hear about your cockerel :(   I am not an expert but it sounds as if you may need to take him to a chicken-friendly vet.  
You say he is doing the normal chickeny things.  Is he is eating, drinking and poohing OK?
When was the last time he was wormed or treated for external parasites?
Does he have a temperature?  You can take this by feeling under the wing of one of your other birds and then under his to see if he feels hotter.
I'm sure some more experienced people will be along with advice, in the meantime good luck with Barney and keep us posted.
As I was typing you posted your photo so I will have a look
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Bumblebee1

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 09:11 »
Thanks so much for your reply - he doesn't like to be picked up until bedtime, so unfortunately I can't tell his temperature this morning - last night he had a bedtime cuddle and didn't feel hotter than usual though.  Yes, he is eating, drinking and poohing as normal, scratching around just as he always does and seems perfectly happy.  I did call an emergency vet and she didn't know what it could be but advised me to bathe the eye with tepid water.  I did that last night and Barney really didn't enjoy it at all, so I am guessing it was painful when I touched it.

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 09:18 »
Oh poor Barney that does look inflamed :(
It looks as if he needs some antibiotic eye drops.  I am not a vet but it looks as if the internal eyelid is inflamed and I can see something that looks like little red speckles around the inflamed area.  
If he is doing all the usual chickeny things then I would take him in tomorrow to the vet but keep him isolated.  Hens can peck at red areas and may be tempted to peck at his eye.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Bumblebee1

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 17:23 »
Thanks for your reply and advice - I did take Barney to the vet, and he had a shot and some eye drops, but by the Tuesday the abscess was swollen to the same size as his head, so I had to let the vet put him down :(
Very sad to lose Barney, but am hoping to get a replacement in the form of a cuckoo frizzle pekin next week as my girls are missing having a boy about the house!

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 20:10 »
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that  :(
You did everything you could for Barney.  What area do you live in?  I am looking for a home for my four month old cuckoo Pekin that I am almost sure is a boy.  He/She is not a frizzle but is very handsome.  Mind you s/he hasn't started to crow yet so might turn out to be a girl  ::)

Bumblebee1

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 11:16 »
Hello - ooh, I'm near Tidworth in Wiltshire and see you are in Somerset - whereabouts in Somerset are you? Have you got any photos you could post?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:27 by Bumblebee1 »

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 19:27 »
Wish you lived near York, Yorkshire. I am looking to rehome a lovely lemon cuckoo Pekin cockerel about 20 weeks old.  :(  I need a good permanent home for him 

xx
Cockerel Problem - again!!!

Started by tuffty on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 15:16
by tuffty
xx
Problem with Cockerel

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2013, 14:56
by grinling
xx
My cockerel sneezes as he crows- problem?

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 18:57
by CluckyChicken
xx
Feeling terrible for hen

Started by Ruby Red on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 23:29
by conventgirl

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 36 queries.