Arrgh! Rats!!!

• 21 Replies

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
Arrgh! Rats!!!
« on: October 07, 2011, 12:26 »
Whilst having a break down my allotment on Sunday afternoon, I noticed a rather large rat running through the sprout bed then into my naturtiums. I watched and waited (and cringing) to see where it had gone. The 5ft sunflower started to shake and then I noticed the rat climbing to the top and eating the seeds which I was hoping to leave out for the birds. It then climbed some other trellis to get to another sunflower. Yuk! My partner has two dogs who love rattin and the next day smelt it immediately. However there are too many hiding places which the dogs can't get to so I have to take other action. I've read lots of earlier posts and poison seems the next step. I hate to do this but know I have to. The dogs won't be around for the next couple of weeks so I have to tackle this on my own. Any ideas/advice?

bigben

Re: Arrgh! Rats!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:45 »
My site also has problems - I have tea in a friends shed and we often see rats thru the window. My friend simply puts poison down which is under a bit of gutter to prevent birds eating it.

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 13:06 »
They really freak me out. I know they're more scared of us but.....

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 16:08 »
Councils will usually poison rats for free, especially if they are near houses. Ask them.

If it is not free then your allotment site should consider paying for it.

Rats are vile, dirty, disease ridden creatures. Do you want to eat or even handle vegetables they have peed on?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 16:12 by Salmo »

slugwarrior

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 16:21 »
rats and allotments go hand in hand eh!  you can put poison down but then they die in a disgusting way usually spreading their entrails all over your plot.  and then you have to work out what to do with the dead ones.  the pest control dept can give you some advice  you may not have a nest they may be passing by.  you can discourage them from staying by making sure your shed and compost bin are rat proof - eg sealing all holes and by using chicken wire under the compost bin etc. ensure there's nothing tempting to eat in your compost, keeping the plot as clean and tidy as you can (wildlife friendly - rats are wildlife too....)oh  and picking up windfall if you have an apple tree.  apparently they love apples. i didn't know that til recently. make sure you wash all your veg thoroughly and your hands.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 17:07 »
York council will deal with them (not sure if there's a charge) but will need to know where their runs are - preferably some holes for their burrows (or whatever they are called).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 17:39 »
I'm pressuming that if the council put poison down that I will still have dead rats to dispose of. Do they not crawl back to their burrows to die? I'm guessing by the replies - not.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 18:51 »
Reading council do offer to deal with rat infestations on allotments but they seem very slow to act.

We had some at home last winter in the garage and the rat bait sold by B&Q (called pasta bait) was very effective.

If you are going to put it down outside it is best to put in inside a bit of pipe so that cats could not lick it if passing through, or hedgehogs either, and it would keep it dry.

Under the shed is best  :ohmy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 00:19 »
Poisoned rats do crawl away and die.

For every rat you see there are 10 more. I you are seeing them regularly then you have quite a population.

For everyones sake do not delay action.

As you may have gathered I loath the things.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 00:19 by Salmo »

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 19:54 »
We had the council rat man on our street last year,so I knew he had been putting poison down a few houses away.
I found a dead rat in my compost bin (which is now ratproof) and another one dead in the parsley.........ew

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 22:16 »
My Boyfriend now says that I need therapy because I have major angst with rats. Another alloment holder said there's nothing I can do about it and should just get used it as they'll always be there. I obviously will not be ignoring the rats as I can't bear the thought of them running around the plot as I'm working. Urgh!! :ohmy:

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 00:22 »
My Boyfriend now says that I need therapy because I have major angst with rats. Another alloment holder said there's nothing I can do about it and should just get used it as they'll always be there.

That is a typical attitude and why rats are everywhere. Do your duty for the community and get the Council to come and sort them out.

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 05:54 »
If it were me I'd start by removing the sunflower seed heads - that'll be one less attraction for them. Then look around to see if there's anything else obvious that might encourage them.

Rat poison will harm anything that swallows it so take great care if you are going to consider trying to sort this out yourself.

Professional help is best.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 08:49 »
As I previously said, before the council will be able to do much, they will probably ask you to identify some runs or holes which they use.  As your boyfriend is obviously less stressed by them, perhaps that's something he can help to do!

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 09:14 »
It's a battle you can't win, unfortunately, on the outside world.... you can only get control over a confined space by getting rid of the infestation and then meticulously sealing absolutely every way in (you'd be amazed how small a hole a seemingly large rat can squeeze through!), but outside, it's impossible to permanently get rid of them.

one breeding pair of rats can literally give rise to hundreds more rats in just a few months. Any poisoning or trapping is only temporary respite, as once they are gone, their space will be filled by others....

I do not like wild rats, as they are a real pest and carry some pretty awful diseases, but I should at least come clean and admit we did have two rats as pets at one time, and they were absolutely fascinating creatures. It's no surprise to me that we can't win the battle against them....Incredibly versatile - they would eat almost anything, and in fact ours got most of the scraps from our meals including the bones from the Sunday roast - and amazingly agile - ours could climb right to the top of our curtains, and even somehow managed to climb a completely smooth 5' standing lamp.

xx
Rats

Started by chimaera on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 21:43
by Minty
xx
Rats?

Started by ferreter51 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 21:42
by loam ranger
xx
rats

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 19:42
by CZ Silhouette
xx
Rats

Started by Diggerpete on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 21:20
by sunshineband

Page created in 1.371 seconds with 37 queries.