Weed and bean test for Aminopyralid

• 4 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Weed and bean test for Aminopyralid
« on: October 06, 2011, 22:54 »
Hi all... I have always get horse manure from my sons GF horse stable and really worked well.. everything has grown properly and no sign of strange growth from Aminopyralid.... But this is not enough to cover my new lottie with a good dollop..

Today I've found another source of manure and looked for the bean test info.. I eventually found by searching different threads that we grow beans in a 50/50 mix of manure and soil nad if they grow it is fine..

Is this the correct method?  Also I read somewhere that if there are broad-leafed weeds growing close by it should be ok?

When I went to collect my sample I found a good pile of some newish mixed manure with straw and a few shavings and a lot of good old decomposed muck, almost composted. The whole area surrounding the pile and growing within the pile extremities are a lot of nettles growing really well. So would this be a good indication or not?
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Weed and bean test for Aminopyralid
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 08:14 »
You'd think so.

But I'm not going to be the one to tell you that it's OK! Better safe than sorry.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 08:59 »
Thats what i'm assuming but will let the beans grow before I cart it all in... I spoke to the farm owner where the two horses graze and he does not spray at all so looks ok from the start..

But could there be problem with any hay that is bought in because that could be contaminated as well? or is it only green grazing fields to be wary of?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 09:04 »
The hay can contain the contaminant and it's not broken down by the digestive system.

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 10:45 »
From what I can recall aminopyralid is only allowed to be used on grassland which will be grazed so that the poo is deposited by the animal back on the grass in the field.

It is not allowed to be used on grass which will be cut for hay or silage.

For a time after this regulation was introduced there was a danger that aminopyralid could still be on old hay cut pre change of regulation. I think it is about 4 years since the change and it is unlikely that there is old hay left and any hay bought in should be aminopyralid free.

The only way manure could now be contaminated is :
1. the horse keeper had collected up poo from treated fields and added them to his muck heap. This is sometimes done to reduce worm infection or where the paddock is only small.
2. the regulations have been ignored and hay fields have been sprayed.

By the time beans in a bean test are about 6 inches high you should be able to see any distortions that indicate that something is wrong. Do not spread your muck until the test is complete.

The fact that weeds do or do not grow on or near a heap is not something that I would put great faith in.

xx
Aminopyralid test failure

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 20:00
by azubah
xx
is a string bean a runner bean? and a harricot bean a butter bean?

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 14:06
by Ice
clip
Aminopyralid?

Started by Small Potatoes on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 24, 2019, 14:34
by jambop
xx
aminopyralid ???

Started by arh on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 09, 2016, 08:03
by arh

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 36 queries.