Pellets online

• 6 Replies

Ceramictiler

Pellets online
« on: October 06, 2011, 18:45 »
Hi guys and girls. Im new to this so any help would be great. Just got 5 hybrid pullets. Should have done this years ago. Anyway where is the best place to get my pellets from is there any decent shops online anyone could recommend. Any tips on getting a start up kit. Do I need cider vinegar mite spray etc. I have some pellets and grit and some corn nothing else. Sorry forgot I live in reading Berkshire.

Thanks
Adam

coopready

Re: Pellets online
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 18:57 »
hi adam take a ride into sherfield on loddon where you have scats with a good amount of all you need and reasonably priced to compared to pet shops in the area  ::)
look after your girls and they will look after you

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 21:06 »
Just wanted to welcome you to the forum  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Ceramictiler

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 22:08 »
Nice to be here. Am I the only one who has fallen for these feathered characters. After only three weeks they have become part of the family and we get egggggs

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 22:46 »
With 5 hens you'll need about 4.5kg of pellets a week for a hybrid assuming little or no free ranging.  Find a good local feed merchant and buy in 20kg sacks.  Mainstream manufacturers branded feed is best,  assuming your birds at 16weeks or within spitting distance use layers.  If you have pellets, mixed poultry corn (including flaked maize), and either mixed grit or insoluable grit and oyster shell separately, you have all yoi need.  Don't bother with sprays and powders or supplements.  You can add anything else as you sneed them or see fit to use.  I never feed things without a reason and I never give supplements as a routine feed.

Feed pellets on an ad lib (constantly available in daylight hours as well as fresh water renewed each day.  A handful of corn per bird in the EVENING.  Grit available separately all the time so they help themselves as needed.  That's all you need.  The very ocassional treat or food scraps (it's illegal to feed anything which has come from your kitchen if you are giving/ selling the eggs to others).  Definitely no meat.

Decide on your Red Mite control methodology to start in early March next year you probably won't see any untiln next year at the earliest now.  Diatomaceous Earth is probably worth using for two reasons Red Mite and it helps on wood coops to prevent droppings sticking and they dry and can easily be scraped off rather than washed.  If you want to use a detergent for cleaning use cheap washing up liquid with a slurp of household disinfectant.  If you don't mind spending more Poultry Shield is well respected.

Best of luck
HF
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:29 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Ceramictiler

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 07:31 »
Great advice many thanks

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 12:22 »
Nice to be here. Am I the only one who has fallen for these feathered characters. After only three weeks they have become part of the family and we get egggggs
Welcome to the addictive world of chicken-keeping  :lol:  You are in good company here  :)

xx
Grower's pellets to layer's pellets

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 09:36
by Beano
xx
Where can i buy ducklings online?

Started by mona.b101 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 19:03
by peggyprice
xx
Online store

Started by retribution on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 23:37
by peeppeeps
xx
Where to buy flubenvet 2.5% online?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 11, 2013, 11:14
by nuzuki

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 36 queries.