New Arrivals!

• 4 Replies

Skywise

New Arrivals!
« on: October 06, 2011, 18:12 »
Today was finally the day we went and picked up our very first chickens!

They're bok-bokking around in their new run now and looking absolutely gorgeous.

We ended up getting just three to begin with - a Sussex Star (Phyllis), a Black Rock (Blodwyn) and a Speckeldy hen (called Mrs Speckeldy at the moment until I think of something better).

Only two questions for now :

I've put down a layer of children's play bark in their run and they're merrily scratching around in it but will it hurt them if they eat any of it? 

and

They made the acquaintance of my cat (Chloe) about 15 minutes after they went into the run and they (and the cat) went hysterical for about 5 minutes.  I'm hoping that they get used to her and the fact that she can't get to them behind the wire but am I being uselessly optimistic?

Anyway, I'm off to watch them adoringly again - through the dining room window though coz it's suddenly got very chilly.  Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Carshay

Re: New Arrivals!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 19:09 »
Congratulations! Iexpect you will get as addicted as the rest of us! I'm not the most learned chicken keeper by far here but think the chickens are fairly sensible and only seem to eat thimgs that won't do them any harm so I wouldn't worry about the bark I expect theyare just moving it about to find tasty bugs. As fsar as the cat goes mine got used to the chickens and vice versa fairly quickly as soon as they all realised that they couldn't reach each other. Hope this reassures you and happy hen keeping!

Skywise

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 19:22 »
Thanks Carshay - that's reassuring news about the pussycat.

As for them being sensible though - the Black Rock keeps hurling herself against the roof of the run.  I think I'll rename her Houdina :)

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 20:01 »
Sharing your excitement - I get mine in a couple of weeks!!! Looking forward to hearing how things are going with the girls and the pussy cat.......

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 21:02 »
Welcome to the addictive world of chicken watching  :D
How about some pics of your girls?  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
new arrivals

Started by jaxon on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 16:45
by ANHBUC
xx
New Arrivals

Started by Charlwood1005 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 17:44
by Charlwood1005
xx
New arrivals...

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 15:07
by Porffor
xx
new arrivals

Started by darby on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 07:55
by joyfull

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 36 queries.