What's eating my beetroot?

• 12 Replies

Novice but totally hooked

• Experienced Member
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:14 »
Last year my beetroot crop was rubbish.  This year they've done really well except that so many of those I'm pulling seem to have been eaten and I end up having to throw them.

On closer inspection it looks as if they've been nibbled away at but only on exposed areas.  In other words if they are completely underground they're fine but any that are slightly exposed seem to be targeted.  I've never had this problem before.

Does anyone know what's causing this?  One one occasion I did get stung when pulling some plants.  I thought at first it was a wasp but on closer inspection found it wasn't a wasp but something similar (I hurt thought and itched for days!).  Is this little blighter and his relatives the cause?

compostqueen

Re: What's eating my beetroot?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 10:06 »
Rats like beetroot unfortunately and you will often find skeletal shells or some with just the corner missing

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 12:50 »
Slugs eat beetroot, I think you will find they are to blame, use your prefered prevention on them.
Paul

monkeygee

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 14:32 »
you could find its field mice , try sowing spring onions inbetween your beetroot, 
know a little but learn a lot every day

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 17:07 »
If you do find the culprit Mr N please let us know.

We love beetroot and haven't had problems but it's nice to be prepared.
Good luck with the varmint hunt!!
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 19:47 »
It will be mice. I've watched them eating my beetroot all through the summer, the little devils.
 >:( They nibble the beets when they are quite small after which the beets keep growing and then they look like they've been attacked by a giant rat. Best way to prevent attack is to earth up the beets keeping them well covered with soil.

Novice but totally hooked

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 09:09 »
Many thanks to all who have contributed to this.

Our plot is in our paddocks in the middle of nowhere so is surrounded by arable fields.  I think mice are probably the culprit as there are no signs of teeth marks which I'd expect to see if it were rats.  Fisherman's comments about the beets continuing to grow makes sense.  I'm also discovering that our potatoes keep being exposed and I have to either dig up the whole plant or simply bury them again so I assume that's the same mice.

I don't think it's slugs as I haven't seen any signs of them on the plot at all.
Maybe it's something to do with the dreadful summer we've had affecting the mice's eating/foraging habits.

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 18:22 »
I think it`s mice and voles eating my beetroot,since the rabbits couldn`t get in.They ate the beetroot on my neighbours allotment!Apparently,through reading around,rats don`t like beets,it`s the last thing they`ll eat. :tongue2:

I`m hopping mad.I don`t know what to do next year.If you come up with a cunning plan,PLEASE let me know! :)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 19:03 »
Squirrels stole ours last year. They chew off the leaves and leave them behind but take the roots whole.

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 00:14 »
I think it`s mice and voles eating my beetroot,since the rabbits couldn`t get in.They ate the beetroot on my neighbours allotment!Apparently,through reading around,rats don`t like beets,it`s the last thing they`ll eat. :tongue2:

I`m hopping mad.I don`t know what to do next year.If you come up with a cunning plan,PLEASE let me know! :)

Foxes work well as a deterrent for little things like mice. Trouble is the foxes dig up the seed beds but no problems from mice so far.  ::)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 07:12 »
Squirrels stole ours last year. They chew off the leaves and leave them behind but take the roots whole.

The size of some of our cylindrical ones , they's need to bring their little fork lift trucks I reckon   :nowink: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

prakash_mib

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 12:00 »
I've always noticed woodlice love beetroot and they live by burrowing a little hole.  :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 15:16 »

The size of some of our cylindrical ones , they's need to bring their little fork lift trucks I reckon   :nowink: :lol:

Are you still able to eat them at this size?

(So far mine have remained sweet and tender.)

xx
Eating beetroot

Started by Yabba on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 14:41
by Elcie
clip

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 04, 2014, 09:44
by diospyros
xx
What’s eating my beetroot?

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 22, 2020, 22:25
by robinahood
xx
Beetroot help please

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 12:13
by DD.

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 36 queries.