Not sure.

• 5 Replies

Orpington

Not sure.
« on: October 05, 2011, 07:29 »
I have 2 Orpingtons born in April 2011 who are gaping and have a bit of rasping in chest, I thought it was gapeworm now not too sure, any thoughts.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Not sure.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:33 »
why do you not think it is gape worm? Have you wormed them and if so what with?
Staffies are softer than you think.

freebirdy

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:39 »
gaping and rasping/wheezing are both classic signs of gapeworm! As the previous post said why do you now not think ths could be gapeworm? And as also said if you have not wormed your chooks do so now! Even if they are not quite due to be wormed it will not harm to worm them again. Better safe than sorry. It's very hard to "overdose" with poultry wormer! Measured accurately and administered in the proper manner it will not harm your birds and can only do good! Use Flebenvet! Not a herbal wormer like Vermex. Good luck hope everything turns out OK.

Orpington

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 12:26 »
Thanks for your replys.
Yes I know it is gapeworm I just do not understand why , as I have wormed regularly for years and have always used Flubenvet, they were all done in June and last week. Just have to wait for them to improve.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 12:36 »
try giving them a second course of flubenvet. Failing that have you looked down their throats and seen the worms? An old method of removing gape worms was to use something like a feather dipped in an oil such as clove oil or eucalyptus and hooking the worm out.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 00:07 »
Sometimes worms can build up resistance to one active ingredient so you need to change to a different type of wormer to make sure you've got them all.  If your hen is still gaping and rasping, I would look into an alternative wormer. 

Also consider that she might have some kind of respiratory infection, or even some physical obstruction like a piece of string stuck in her throat.

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 37 queries.