Heritage apple trees

• 21 Replies

jonewer

• Experienced Member
Heritage apple trees
« on: October 04, 2011, 19:14 »
Go look around the supermarket fruit isle. How many of the apples on offer are locally grown? Not many. And how many are actually local varieties rather than the sweet, bland, hard-as-potatoes, dont taste of anything but look pretty variety? Even fewer!

In fact, most people are familiar with no more than half a dozen different varieties of apple, and apart from Cox and the ubiquitous Bramley (the only cooker most people have ever heard of), just about all of them are foreign.

This is a crying shame. There are literally a thousand or more British varieties, almost all of which have much more to offer than bland Braeburn or ghastly Granny Smith.

Last year I bought an apple variety called "Painted Summer Pippin" from Bernwode Fruit Trees in bucks.

The name was actually given by Derek at Bernwode to a tree that was growing at Wotton Underwood, the historical home of the Dukes of Buckinghamshire. The tree was old and the variety could not be identified but its very likely to be a very old variety that had fallen out of cultivation.

Subsequently a certain Mr Tony Blair bought the old walled garden and some time later the original tree was cut down.

This just underlines how important it is that these old varieties are preserved. Were it not for Bernwode, this variety would have been lost for good. Gone. Extinct. Never coming back. The genetic material erased from the face of the earth.

Now consider how important these apples are to out national heritage. I would argue that they are more important than all the Turners in all the Tates. They are more important that all the guns and suits of armour in all the museums. These trees were passed from family to family over the course of generations. They were the very stuff on which our ancestors depended for their survival. To feed them and keep them healthy. And sometimes drunk.

Folks, Tesco will never sell these apples so they will never be grown commercially. Which means that unless you take it upon yourself to plant some of them, you, your children, and the nation at large will never ever have the pleasure of tasting Ashmead's Kernel or D'arcy Spice.

The only way to preserve these unique, living, beautiful, and tasty bits of our heritage is if you plant them in your gardens and plant them in your allotments.

Dont buy some nasty grown in china Golden Delisyuck for £5 from Poundland. Spend that little bit extra to get something you will be proud of. Something you can boast about to friends and neighbours.

Its up to you!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Heritage apple trees
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 19:57 »
Do you feel better now that's off your chest  ;)

I agree to a large extent, but old/heritage doesn't always equate to better.
You need to go to somewhere like Brogdale to have a look at the old varieties, and more importantly............to taste them

The Apple Festival is 22nd & 23rd October
http://www.dayvisits.co.uk/events/apple-festival-at-brogdale-collections/

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 20:07 »
MumofStig is right -- you do need to taste apples before buying a tree.
There might be somewhere local like an apple farm where you can go at this time in the year, especially where you live  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 21:51 »
For those in Yorkshire and nearby, see here for RHS Harlow Carr's event the same weekend

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardens/Harlow-Carr/What-s-on/A-Taste-of-Autumn
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Spana

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 22:22 »
For those in the South West, Apple Day at RHS Rosemoor :)

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhseventfinder/details.aspx?id=8069&r=true

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 22:26 »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:49 »
Open Day this Sunday (9th October) at Cross Lane Fruit Farm nr Reading

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~crosslanes/contents_small/index.htm   

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 08:10 »
Agree that there are some superb old varieties, but in many of them, much of the flavour has been grafted out, and sometimes, the flesh is just boring and powdery.

We had a long look at this subject recently http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=83773.0

It only takes a trip to an established grower's farm to get a real taste of something different.

I can't wait for the Russets!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 08:14 »
We were very fortunate that the grower from Cross Lane Farm cane to the Autumn Harvest Day at Newbury Showground on Monday and brought several varieties for the children (and adults of course) to taste.

Few chldren had seen a russett apple and no-one thought they looked very tasty... and how opinions changed when they had eaten a piece  :D :D :D

And the Red Devil was a surprise to them, as it has red in the flesh under the skin  :lol:

Spana

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 09:24 »
As my contribution to help save the old apple varieties i planted a Devonshire Quarrenden about 9 years ago.  It dates back to the 1670s.  Its a beautiful looking apple and has a sort of sweet soft fruit flavour.  :)

Its a total none keeper, it needs to be picked and eaten while you're standing under the tree. It seems to loose whatever it is that makes it such a lovely eating apple within a few hours of picking.

So what old varieties have you got :)

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 19:35 »
As my contribution to help save the old apple varieties i planted a Devonshire Quarrenden about 9 years ago.  It dates back to the 1670s.  Its a beautiful looking apple and has a sort of sweet soft fruit flavour.  :)

Its a total none keeper, it needs to be picked and eaten while you're standing under the tree. It seems to loose whatever it is that makes it such a lovely eating apple within a few hours of picking.

Your Quarrenden tree sounds very interesting Spana.

We've tried several like that, but never realised the difference between buying/picking and then taking home, or getting it eaten immediately.

I guess we're talking about oxidisation here, but as I can grow such things as leeks OK, apples rely on the bloke/blokess which grafted our two trees. (Lord Lambournes - a fairly common grafted tree).

We did actually hear of a Nonsuch, found growing in our back garden, and which was certified a few years before it went down in the big gale in October1987! We never did see it, because that was before we moved here!

Pah!

edited to clarify quote
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 21:08 by Yorkie »

jonewer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 20:18 »
Do you feel better now that's off your chest  ;)

I agree to a large extent, but old/heritage doesn't always equate to better.

Yes, thanks! Actually no. But someone has to save us kids!

Anyway, its fair to say that a variety that has been known for over three centuries must have something going for it, else it wouldnt have been grown for so long.

Most of the modern varieties are bred to crop prolifically, withstand the bumps and bruises of mechanised handling processes, and look nice. Its also worth pointing out that many modern varieties have poor disease resistance as the ability to administer sprays is taken for granted by commercial growers, be they organic or not.

But how they taste hardly factors into it at all. Which is probably why most of the apples you buy in Tesco taste and smell of nothing.

Compare next year, in summer, the aroma of a bag of discoveries versus a bag of anything else. You'l see what I mean.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 20:23 by jonewer »

jonewer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 20:21 »

I too have a DQ!  :D Jolly good straight of the tree but as you say, doesnt keep.

I also have a Crawley Beauty and a Claygate Pearmain as they are local to me.

jonewer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 20:26 »
Agree that there are some superb old varieties, but in many of them, much of the flavour has been grafted out, and sometimes, the flesh is just boring and powdery.

How can you graft the flavour out? Grafting produces genetically identical trees (bar the rootstock) so I dont see how this is possible.

If something like Ashmead's or Court Pendu tastes powdery and boring you have probably picked it too soon.

hamstergbert

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 22:26 »
My (late) stepdad had one that he said was a Waking pippin and reckoned it was an old variety (at a time when that was viewed by most as not a good thing).  Not too bad an apple as I recall but not exactly anything to set the Wharfe on fire.  Probably due to age as the tree gradually gave up the ghost in the late sixties.early seventies I think.  Luckily my best mate's dad had a market garden on the edge of the village and he had all sorts of unusual apples growing scattered around his land.

These days - egremont russets now there's a beauty,  aaaaaah...... especially with cheeses ranging from a nice ripe brie right through to a hunk of sunshine Coverdale......

Rats.  Now I'm hungry again....
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
new apple trees

Started by sloworm on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 05:19
by oldbean
xx
apple trees

Started by Redlichtie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 22:04
by Redlichtie
xx
Apple trees

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 21:36
by Springlands

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 38 queries.