b & q greenhouse sale....

  • 12 Replies
  • 15462 Views
*

potatopotato

  • Full Member
  • **
  • Location: yorkshire
  • 91
b & q greenhouse sale....
« on: September 29, 2007, 18:39 »
I want to get a greenhouse to put on my lottie next Spring. So at the moment I'm shopping around to see what I can get for my money.

Anyway today in B & Q I noticed they've got a sale on greenhouses, obviously not many people want to buy them this time of year because it's so blooming cold. But I do because I like a bargain. Anyway they had this greenhouse the size I want, 6 x 4 and it was less than £200 which seemed pretty bargainous. Only thing was, it doesn't have glass panes - they seem to be of some kind of perspex (can't remember the name of it and the B&Q website doesn't have them listed, frustratingly). They made one of the selling points out to be that the perspex panes don't break easily which would be a bonus for me because I'm really clumsy.

Only I don't see anyone else on my site with a greenhouse with perspex panes, so I was wondering if maybe they just aren't a very good idea? Would welcome people's thoughts on this! Thanks .
So everybody's entitled to opinions, I open up my mouth, and s***, I've got millions! - Lady Sovereign

*

muntjac

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: near diss norfolk
  • 11971
b & q greenhouse sale....
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 18:43 »
grab it ........  :shock:
still alive /............

*

flowergirl

  • Guest
b & q greenhouse sale....
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 19:10 »
get it. we only have perspex at our site cos the vandals smash glass

*

WG.

  • Guest
Re: b & q greenhouse sale....
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 19:27 »
Quote from: "potatopotato"
 it doesn't have glass panes - they seem to be of some kind of perspex (can't remember the name of it
Polycarbonate?

*

muntjac

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: near diss norfolk
  • 11971
b & q greenhouse sale....
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 19:35 »
i have a few sheets of lexan plastic type stuff its nigh on bullet proff lol

http://www.diyplastics.com/

*

richyrich7

  • Paper Potter
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: Sunny Leicester, The answers in the soil !
  • 10377
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
b & q greenhouse sale....
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 21:05 »
Bargain... but anchor it down well as the polycarbonate ones are a little lighter than glass ones.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

*

potatopotato

  • Full Member
  • **
  • Location: yorkshire
  • 91
Re: b & q greenhouse sale....
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 22:17 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "potatopotato"
 it doesn't have glass panes - they seem to be of some kind of perspex (can't remember the name of it
Polycarbonate?


Yes, that's it.

Well it sounds like I'm onto a bargain, judging by what people are saying here!

*

SnooziSuzi

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: Newton Hall Allotments, Durham, UK
  • 2811
    • Facebook
b & q greenhouse sale....
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 22:22 »
definately get it!

If you do decide to glaze it later on then you should be able to buy panes of glass cut to the right size from B&Q or from a local glazier.

Wow, wish I'd seen that bargain before spending £350 on mine!!

*

crowndale

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: East Yorkshire
  • 2017
b & q greenhouse sale....
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 09:06 »
When I had a polycarbonate greenhouse I regularly had panes of plastic flying around the garden during bad weather so make sure that ot only is the frame well secured but that is is sheltered from the wind.  Mind you the b & q Gh look to be more substantial than the one I had, but still, no point in risking losing the panes to wind!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

*

muntjac

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: near diss norfolk
  • 11971
b & q greenhouse sale....
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 11:38 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
When I had a polycarbonate greenhouse I regularly had panes of plastic flying around the garden during bad weather so make sure that ot only is the frame well secured but that is is sheltered from the wind.  Mind you the b & q Gh look to be more substantial than the one I had, but still, no point in risking losing the panes to wind!



 good point crowndale . but id suggest as i do that the panes are glued in with window sealant this not only fits them well but cuts down on draughts and leaks between the frame and glass  :wink:  and its only a £1  tube from £1 shops . 1/4 inch cut on the nozzle  :wink:

*

mkhenry

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: milton keynes
  • 1992
Re: b & q greenhouse sale....
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 00:12 »
Quote from: "potatopotato"
I want to get a greenhouse to put on my lottie next Spring. So at the moment I'm shopping around to see what I can get for my money.

Anyway today in B & Q I noticed they've got a sale on greenhouses, obviously not many people want to buy them this time of year because it's so blooming cold. But I do because I like a bargain. Anyway they had this greenhouse the size I want, 6 x 4 and it was less than £200 which seemed pretty bargainous. Only thing was, it doesn't have glass panes - they seem to be of some kind of perspex (can't remember the name of it and the B&Q website doesn't have them listed, frustratingly). They made one of the selling points out to be that the perspex panes don't break easily which would be a bonus for me because I'm really clumsy.

Only I don't see anyone else on my site with a greenhouse with perspex panes, so I was wondering if maybe they just aren't a very good idea? Would welcome people's thoughts on this! Thanks .


Guess whos popping down to B&Qs Tomorrow.
I have been looking at cheap polytunnels and or another greenhouse,at those prices the greenhouse wins. :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

*

edlomatt

  • New Member
  • *
  • 11
b & q greenhouse sale....
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 21:50 »
may be able to get it cheaper then that from a company i know, the names downstairs but ill have a look later for you and provide contact details. its a chinese company i met a GLEE that operate in the uk.

*

mkhenry

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Location: milton keynes
  • 1992
b & q greenhouse sale....
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 22:07 »
Quote from: "edlomatt"
may be able to get it cheaper then that from a company i know, the names downstairs but ill have a look later for you and provide contact details. its a chinese company i met a GLEE that operate in the uk.


Great,I went to B&Q no bargains on greenhouses in my area.
The greenhouse was £169 plus poly/base/etc. It would have cost well over £300 in total,and that was for a very basic one. :cry:



xx
Has to be the best garden SALE in the world........ ever!

Started by apywell on Equipment Shed

20 Replies
5147 Views
Last post February 07, 2008, 21:55
by apywell
xx
garage sale bargain or not?

Started by muntjac on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
2199 Views
Last post January 30, 2007, 21:17
by muntjac
xx
Which rotovator???? Any for sale? Advice needed

Started by Southmead on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
23887 Views
Last post June 09, 2006, 09:48
by Southmead
xx
old grey ferguson tractor for sale aprox a grand

Started by muntjac on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
7459 Views
Last post August 21, 2011, 10:10
by JayG
 

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 36 queries.

Powered by SMFPacks Social Login Mod
Powered by SMFPacks SEO Pro Mod |