When to manure? (Too early?)

• 11 Replies

Goldfinger

When to manure? (Too early?)
« on: October 02, 2011, 09:52 »

Now we're into October, (doesn't feel like it with this sunshine ATM  ::) ),

Is it too early to get some manure onto the beds for over winter now that they're empty?

There's only a row of swede and a couple of rows of beetroot left, so I could stock pile some to the side for when they come out.

I'm just a bit desperate to get some structure into the soil it's sooo light, and because it's never had any muck on for years before we took it on.

Nikkithefoot

Re: When to manure? (Too early?)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 10:09 »
I covered the empty part of my plot back in August with a thick (6-8inch) layer of manure. The worms will do their stuff and come spud planting time I shouldn't have to do more than just fork the remaining manure in.

As far as I'm concerned its never too early to manure. I have very sandy soil so it needs all the help it can get. The downside to early manuring is that some of the nutrients can wash away in the winter rains, but it will still be better than nothing.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Goldfinger

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 10:14 »

Should I / could I them cover the manure with thick plastic then?  ???

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 10:53 »
I agree with Nikkithefoot's point about leaching of sandy soil due to winter rain but I found that not just the nutrients but much of the compost itself washes away, so I've come to a different conclusion; best to leave it until early spring - dig it in as soon as the soil is workable, which of course happens earlier than with heavy soils (one of its few advantages!)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 12:56 »
I've got sandy soil, and don't dig in the spring cos I think this leaves the soil with less moisture at root level.
So I dig my soil over winter and add the manure then. I don't cover with plastic as I want the rain to soak in, but do use quite a bit of cardboard as a mulch :)
I'm of the opinion that the manure helps soil structure, rather than adding much in the way of fertiliser, anyway ;)

Goldfinger

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 13:36 »

I think too that I want to add structure more than anything. The soil's not sandy, it just sooo fine/light.When you're digging you don't need to press down on the spade/fork etc, just lean on the handle and it disappears into the ground!  :blink:   :ohmy:

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 13:44 »
I'm of the opinion that there is no right or wrong time....if the grounds vacant,and you are not going to be doing root crops,bung in as much as you can whenever it is available.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 15:22 »
I'm with radiohead on this one  (unless you are about to sow root veg of course  :lol: )

And if you are going to grow root veg next spring, best to add manure asap this year tbh  :D

I have already covered two beds with weighted black plastic as they were nice and damp and now full of compost too
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 10:50 »
My manure is left in the compost bins til it's very well rotted (brown/black and crumbly) and is spread only on the spud rotation (very thickly) in Jan/Feb. The other rotations get a nutrient 'top up' with chicken pellets and BFB as needed.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 22:03 »
How about overwintering with a bulky green manure, to dig in next spring for bulk. 
There should just be time to get mustard sown.

I dont seem to get on with tares or winter peas though, and having spent ages digging out grass from the plot I cant bear to sow winter rye back in !

But you can never have too much manure
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 22:05 by gremlin »
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 07:50 »
ive just manured 4 tonnes on to my beds with another 7-8 coming this sat this will do the 2nd lotty then i will store the restso far have paid £55 with another 35 to pay but that will be it for 5-6 so its worth it my spuds romped this teat even after being decimated by that frost  >:(

Goldfinger

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 18:52 »

Great replies/advice!! Cheers all  :D  ;)

Anyway, have I got time, or should I weedkill the weeds that are showing at the moment, or should I dig them out before 'mucking'??
Then cover with the heavy black plastic I've just aquired from work today? (Perks of the job   8) )

xx
Quick Green Manure for late Winter/Early Spring sowing?

Started by Urbanite on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2016, 08:37
by New shoot
xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
First early's, Second Early's, Main crop? Chitting? help ???

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 15:03
by Dan

Page created in 0.683 seconds with 38 queries.