Superwisteria

• 9 Replies

catllar

Superwisteria
« on: September 30, 2011, 18:10 »
How on earth can I kill of for good and all the b....y wisteria that I unwisely planted in the wrong place?  After letting the thing get its toes really embedded and developing a somewhat hefty trunk, it was decided it was really in a prime position to knock the house over, so we cut it back last Autumn and applied stump killer. It came back strong and green in the Spring. More stump killer, wisteria says "no".   I Let the leaves grow back a bit and applied Roundup - dead , dead? No, just a little browned off. 2 months later back it popped again a bit further away - anyway the thing has been roundupped 4 times and STILL won't die. It is sitting outside thumbing its nose at me as I write. Short of dynamite, any ideas?? 

catllar

Re: Superwisteria
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 18:17 »
Any ideas anyone, or have I broken some unspoken rule of gardening by asking this question? :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 18:44 »
no unspoken rules, just that you have already tried everything I could think of.

If you keep killing each bit as it appears it will eventually give up - that's the only advice I have ::)

Unless, of course, you are up to digging out the roots  :ohmy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 20:30 »
When you drill holes into the stump and add the strong stump killer, are you covering it afterwards to stop rain getting in?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 21:44 »

Flame thrower, maybe?

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

grinling

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 21:22 »
Could you use copper nails or drill a hole and put in copper sulphate and cover with wax.

catllar

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 12:55 »
Yes Yorkie, we did cover it up well.

I like the flame thrower but I'm not sure the surrounding plants would ! 

Copper nails? Not heard that one before Grinling, mind you, never seen a copper nail either, but thanks for the suggestion. Might be easier to find copper sulphate - would I be correcct in supposing that copper sulphate is not bordeaux mix but something intrinsically deadly?

Mum, I think we are going to have to carry on with the same treatment, if the copper sulphate won't work , or I can't find any. No, digging out the roots is not an option - it'd mean digging up the swimming pool terrace and that was built to resist earthquake, cos we live in a place that shakes from time to time!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 20:39 »
Copper sulphate used to be in bordeaux mix and probably wouldn;t be strong enough to see off the beast imho

Copper nails would be available in an ironmongers I'm sure and is a recognised way of disposing of unwanted trees... takes ages though.

You can hire gas guns relatively cheaply and the flame is easy to control
 ;)

catllar

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 12:41 »
Thanks for that! Has anyone tried an air to ground missile in this circumstance?

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 13:03 »
If you do what you did originally, and cut it down to leave a stump, then add stump killer, then as it starts to re grow, keep taking the growth off and reapplying the stump killer, it should get the message eventually ::)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 37 queries.