Sweet corn stripping...

• 10 Replies

Growster...

Sweet corn stripping...
« on: September 29, 2011, 22:31 »
Next year, on a part of 'Patch Growster', we're going to do about 20 sweet corn plants.

Can anyone advise on how to strip these from the cobs for freezing please, - there's only two of us, and we can''t eat all of them direct from the cob...

Spana

Re: Sweet corn stripping...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 22:43 »
I just cut them off with a knife after blanching  :)

I did read somewhere that if you freeze them then give the cob a good whack on the worktop all the kernals would fall out but it didn't work for me :unsure:

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 23:47 »
I use a long-bladed knife with a D shaped handle (the key) which makes it much easier to cut off the kernels. We cut off some of the bottom so the cob will sit flat and upright on a cutting board, and as I hold it by the top tip, I slice off the kernels. Amazing how little the yield really is, and saves loads of space in place of full cobs.

Through winter, I always toss in handful of frozen kernels into soups and stews as well as cooking up some for side veg.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 05:27 »
Many thanks Span and Trills!

Isn't it funny, but I always worry about losing the first few bits, which would get cut about a bit...!

This all makes good sense, although I can also imagine the look on Mrs Growster's face, as I hurl frozen cobs around her spotless kitchen, shrieking banalities because they're so cold...

Spana

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 09:45 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

After I've cut the kernels off I go over the cobs and bite off and eat any bits that have got left on.  I usually start to feel queasy after about 10 :blink: :lol: i hate waste :lol:

The chickens then get the the stripped cobs and peck out the last little bits :)

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 05:15 »
Cob kernels have to be taken off the cob three rows at a time Spana! Start at the West end, and work steadily Eastwards.

When the last noggings have gone from the whole row, and it is totally kernelless, proceed back to the West end, on the next three rows to the South, and repeat.

All this takes place, with the certain knowledge, that one has lacerated and thoroughly burnt the upper section of one's gums, just behind the top front teeth, and a huge blister will form, to keep you awake for several hours the first night, and about half an hour the second.

And a few mintes before the charade begins, one will have been trying to insert those ridiculous double 6" nails with yellow handles, in each end of the offending cob.

Inevitably, this will result in at least one double nail protruding out from the side of the cob (usually the East end for some reason), and again, having caused slight bleeding on the fingers while inserting, it will definitely cause further internal mouth injuries, which will occur. These will include a chipped tooth, a largish cut requiring three stitches, and an extra Tetanus injection after a forty mile dash to A and E...

By then, it'll be down to Twongos for a bag of the frozen stuff...

Spana

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 11:53 »
 :lol:  :lol: :lol:

You got a spy camera in my kitchen :lol:

I did chip a bit off one of my front teeth eating corn cobs a couple of weeks ago.  I think it gives me a rather interesting look but my daughters say i look like Terry Thomas  :D

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 06:00 »
:lol:  :lol: :lol:

You got a spy camera in my kitchen :lol:

I did chip a bit off one of my front teeth eating corn cobs a couple of weeks ago.  I think it gives me a rather interesting look but my daughters say i look like Terry Thomas  :D

Ha ha ha Spana!

Sorry the tooth may hurt, but to think of Terry Thomas will definitely make me yelp with joy!

Years ago, he was on 'What's my line' as the mystery guest.

All the others, wearing ridiculous masks, had to guess who he was, although the public could see obviously! (this was back on black and white TV days).

He was well disguised anyway, and nobody out there was totally sure, and guess what - he'd blocked off the gap with a bit of white plastic...!

;0)

Spana

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 10:23 »
- he'd blocked off the gap with a bit of white plastic...!

;0)

:lol:

I might try that. :lol: D'you think it would work with blu-tack  :D

I use to love Whats My Line.  Do you remember Eamonn Andrews making a record, Shifting Whispering Sands  :D

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 20:04 »
- he'd blocked off the gap with a bit of white plastic...!

;0)

:lol:

I might try that. :lol: D'you think it would work with blu-tack  :D

I use to love Whats My Line.  Do you remember Eamonn Andrews making a record, Shifting Whispering Sands  :D

ooooph, I'll check on that Spana...

Eamonn Andrews was the boxing reporter when - I think - Cassius Clay and Henry Cooper were slugging it out...

I may be wrong there, but well, may be right...

But we all loved him I think!

Spana

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 20:17 »
I think he did have something to do with boxing, but he was the first chairman on Whats my Line. :)

Perhaps we'd better get back to sweetcorn before we get a ticking of from Auntie :lol:

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
Sweet corn

Started by flowerlady on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 07:32
by crackedflowerpots
xx
sweet corn

Started by HeNrYhOuNd on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 30, 2007, 17:07
by DD.
xx
sweet corn

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 21:38
by gobs

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 36 queries.