Weed control....am i getting fanatical?

• 9 Replies

chili

• Experienced Member
Weed control....am i getting fanatical?
« on: September 29, 2011, 19:30 »
I do shift work, 4 x 12hr days then 4 off then 4 x 12hr nights, it would seem that the majority of my time on my half plot is spend weeding, there must be an easier way for me to control them, on my last 4 off i got rid of a load of them, went there today and had a load more........i have put an old tarp over the area i done today. What else can i do? or am i just over reacting lol.............

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Weed control....am i getting fanatical?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 19:35 »
It's par for the course I'm afraid ;)

Do you hoe, this is much quicker than actual weeding?

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 21:43 »
It's all weed, weed, weed.  You get used to it and learn to pace yourself.  You can weed and then apply mulch right up to your plants in an effort to keep weeds down. The plants have to be moist first. You can use all sorts of materials as mulches

If you expect your plants to grow then it figures that weeds will also grow. It shows your soil is fertile  :) 

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 22:36 »
It's got to be a hoe I fear!

But that way, you do everything the soil needs, right next to the plant.

Can I suggest that hoeing should be a very gentle pastime, not a chore...?

The time you'll spend will not be much different from trying to do too much at a time!

And finally, I think you've posted a very thoughtfull note, which deserves a lot of response. We're all busy, and need to sound out the opposition sometimes!

Nice one that!

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 23:14 »
I have some good hoes but I do that much damage to the veg with them that I had to give up and get down and dirty with the kneeling mats.  You need good eyes to swing a hoe  :D

Weeding is a mindless chore that is quite therapeutic I find in an empty-headed kind of way. It frees up your mind to wander where it will  :)

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 23:50 »
Weeding is my most unfavourite job. So I do a thorough job in spring, and immediately spread a good mulch of old straw everywhere - in between plants, within the rows, and over any edges. After that it's merely pulling out the odd weed or two.

Many will argue that mulches attract slugs, but its way easier than constant weeding. You must do some tradeoffs for working those kinds of hours as my OH well knows (and does the same)

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 05:34 »
It's about this time of year, that all those tiny bits of couch grass root which were left in during the digging, show up as fully grown clumps of grassyweed, all smug and swarthy!

And they're pretty easy to hoik out as well, because they don't have the underground root system about three ft long...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 07:47 »
Yep, everyone is right --- where there are plants there are also those weeds  :lol:

Slow and steady is the way to go, whether it be swinging a hoe or down on your knees (I sit down 'cos I enjoy the little rest)

and never ever let enyhitng go to seed it you can possibly help it  :ohmy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 10:14 »
so if i do my current lot of weeding and clear it all would it be advisable to cover the area with my supply of cow dung?

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 11:40 »
Yes you can use muck, black woven sheet mulch, cardboard, grass mowings, straw, compost. Anything that excludes light is the object of the exercise.  When you use manure you end up with a good moist soil come spring. Make sure it's a thick layer

If you use cow muck it should have fewer weed seeds in it. Horse muck seems to have lots of undigested grass in it which quickly sprouts.  Mind you, I don't ever turn my nose up at free poo from whatever animal it came from, but I would rot it down in my compost bins first. 

xx
Weed control

Started by Rincon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 26, 2015, 18:38
by mumofstig
xx
weed control

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 02, 2007, 16:51
by Jeanieblue
xx
weed control

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 06:39
by Fisherman
xx
weed control

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 13:50
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 30 queries.