sweetcorn not ready

• 6 Replies

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
sweetcorn not ready
« on: September 27, 2011, 16:22 »

Hi
    I planted f1incredible sweetcorn, i started them off in the greenhouse to give them a good start,or so i thought.
    At the moment they are a reasonable size not brilliant,but they are still mainly white inside .I don't think they'll ripen before the weather turns cold
    Has anybody else had any problems or knows whats gone wrong

Thanks carl 

Allotment Jon

Re: sweetcorn not ready
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 16:29 »
Never had a problem with Sweetcorn until this year.

With the weather a little warm still I was just going to leave and see what happens. I tried a couple of cobs but not much on them as previous years.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 17:00 »

Thanks for the reminder, my second cobs are still on the plants.   I'm trying to get them to dry off a bit and see igf I can save them for next year.  (Or make wine)  :ohmy:    I'll leave them untill this Indian  Summer is over.     Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 17:21 »
I expected my second batch of sweetcorn to catch up the first as they were only planted out two weeks apart, but they didn't, although they have grown to their "proper" size and are therefore a foot taller than the earlier ones (seems like sweetcorn never really fully recovers from a sulk!)

Looks like there are some good sized cobs on them too, so this warm spell has come just in time. I agree though that this is all incredibly late even for up here.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 17:38 »
Picked my first three today cobs seem OK, plants are half the size they should be. Rest of them are struggling a bit.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 20:21 »
My sweetcorn is a disaster this year, Not pollinated very much. Didn't grow well at all. Even the squirrels won't steal it..

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 21:36 »
my early corn, sulked a bit but were looking wonderful, until a week before i harvested them, but something decided to eat half of each cob before i got to them :mad:....not sure if it was mice/rats or squirrels....regardless, i lost 36 plants with 2 cobs on each plant. :(

my second batch were a month behind, and although they didnt feel ripe i harvested 10 cobs before they got eaten by somthing else and they tasted lovely.  Not as big and juicy as previous years but still really good.

Sweetcorn is my favourite thing to grow so this year was a big disappointment, but not because of the weather....just pests!

Give your crops a good water and hopefully after this week of warm weather, you will be enjoing them shortly ;)

xx
when is sweetcorn ready?

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 19, 2013, 09:46
by andyf75
xx
wHEN WILL MY SWEETCORN BE READY?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 24, 2008, 10:44
by vineweevil1
xx
Sweetcorn ready?

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 21:45
by jolly jen
xx
how do i know when my sweetcorn is ready ?

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 13:25
by slow_worm

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 37 queries.