growing swede

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

growing swede
« on: September 25, 2011, 20:32 »
 i thought i would try growing swede in modules then transplant into the Lottie well all went well the swede grew well i pricked out the swede to one plant when they got established i transferred them into the Lottie again they grew very well good tops nice green colour

the only problem is there  nothing at the bottom of the plant :mellow: so going to leave them to overwinter then plough the crop in for green muck i just wondered if swede would grow in paper pots or do i need to set the seed out in rows and gap the swede as i don't seem to get much luck from seed set in the Lottie for one reason or another :(

suggestions most welcome for growing my swede next season :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: growing swede
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 20:39 »
I grew mine in paper pots, about 6in deep, and planted them when they had about 3 leaves.
I dug holes deep enough to sink the complete pots, watered the holes put in some chicken pellets and planted into them.

They had another sprinkle of pellets after a couple of months  and were watered regularly, if the sky didn't oblige ;)

Got some good sized ones already  :)

LilacSandy

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 20:40 »
Hi, I could not get any seeds to germinate at the lotty for the last two years, so  I used the Terry Walton method this yea, I chitted them in a damp kitchen paper in a plastic bag and then used tweesers to pot into individual plastic cups and grew on until they were about 3" high then planted them out.

You need to make sure that they are planted out well before the roots hit the bottom of the cup or this will stunt the growth and make for twisted or forked roots.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:34 »
If this is any use to you -  I did an experiment, with half sown and half transplanted from modules. I transplnted twice the amount required then thinned alternate ones to get the correct final spacing. The transplanted ones -  as I planted them deepish to give them a good anchoring - are definately bigger - large grapefruit size - the sown ones are OK but generally smaller - about orange size. I know they were started at different times and still have some growing to do - but on balance I think I will use the transplant method next year. One word of warning - I had a set back when I started as the pigeons attacked them -  I thought they would be OK but I was wrong - They are now netted.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 20:22 »
thanks all
 for your re-pies its given me something to ponder on for next season there just one thing what month did you set your swede seed my dad would never set his swede seed till after the 25Th may i can't remember why after the 25Th may? :unsure:

also what varieties did you grow Marian seems a good favored by most growers although invitation looks worth a try  :)

once again many thanks for you advise

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 20:30 »
According to my diary I sowed my swede on 9th May, variety was Marian  :)

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 09:06 »
Marian - sown in situ 28th May - transplants 13th June - with second set of leaves. Do not have a record of when I sowed the transplnted ones - but it would have been in mid May .

xx
Growing swede in pots?

Started by lauren on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 17:39
by Lardman
xx
Growing cauiflower and swede

Started by bedifferent on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 11, 2009, 13:59
by randombod
xx
growing parsnip and swede in peat pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 11, 2018, 10:25
by AnneB
xx
Growing Swede from plug plants & Sprouts advice

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 18:00
by DD.

Page created in 0.513 seconds with 38 queries.