Pickling Gherkins

• 5 Replies

Easymouser

Pickling Gherkins
« on: September 25, 2011, 15:19 »
Can anyone help me here please. I have tried pickling my 'Gherkin' cucumbers using a recipe that seems to be quite common. (Simmer in brine for a short while, leave to cool, put in jars with pickling vinegar). Now that i am tasting them they seem very very vinegary, and almost inedible. I have tried them whole, (about 3-4 inches), small and sliced, all to the same effect. My husband suggests half water and half vinegar but i don't see how this can help. ANy ideas on how i can preserve them as i have loads more to store.  ???

Foghorn-Leghorn

Re: Pickling Gherkins
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 16:47 »
Do they need a few months storage before they mature their final flavour?  (a bit like pickled onions)
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 13:33 »
You certainly don't want to dilute the vinegar with water, because that will reduce the acidity and therefore spoil the keeping qualities of the vinegar.  Personally, I'm not keen on sweet pickles, but I do think you need a small amount of sugar to 'take the edge off' the vinegar.  The secret is to taste it as you add the sugar - just add a little at a time until you're happy with the result (I use Billington's golden granulated for this).  The other tip of course is to add spices to enrich the flavour of the vinegar.

I haven't actually pickled gherkin sized cucumbers, but I have made what I've dubbed 'crunchy summer relish', which is a combination of ridge cucumbers, red peppers and celery, chopped into small dice.  I put everything in a bowl and sprinkle with salt, stirring every so often, and leave for a good few hours or overnight.  I then either make up my own spiced vinegar with a little sugar, or use the Sarson's clear pickling vinegar (which is ready flavoured), also adding a little sugar.  Having drained the vegetables, I then pack into jars and top up with the prepared vinegar.  

Best of luck - hope the next batch turns out better!  :)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 13:34 by cheshirecheese »

crh75

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 17:06 »
The way I pickle my ghrkins is to slice them, sprinkle salt over the lot and give it a bit of a mixed so they are all covered.  Leave it for 24hrs then rinse and add to steralised jars with a few pepper corns, some mustard seeds and some dried chilli.  Leave for a month or so and enjoy.

I use the hot water method for whole gherkins but mainly do sliced.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 20:04 »
The way I pickle my ghrkins is to slice them, sprinkle salt over the lot and give it a bit of a mixed so they are all covered.  Leave it for 24hrs then rinse and add to steralised jars with a few pepper corns, some mustard seeds and some dried chilli.  Leave for a month or so and enjoy.

No vinegar or other  liquid?  :unsure:

crh75

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 11:09 »
Yes, with vinegar. Silly me!

xx
Gherkins

Started by wighty on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post October 17, 2012, 21:14
by snowdrops
xx
Gherkins

Started by Yorkshire Lass on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2016, 18:01
by Headgardener22
xx
Gherkins

Started by DD. on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 21:09
by DD.
xx
Gherkins

Started by slow_worm on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 17:02
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 37 queries.