Green manure?

• 18 Replies

Windsong

Green manure?
« on: September 25, 2011, 12:44 »
Since we have no compost of rotted manure to hand, I was thinking of planting Hungarian Grazing Rye as an overwinter green manure and then rotovating it into the soil come spring.

As a pretty inexperienced allotmenteer I was just wondering whether or not it's a good idea or if there is anything I should be aware of before sowing it?

BabbyAnn

Re: Green manure?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 18:38 »
Hungarian Grazing Rye is considered to be one of the best green manures, but digging it in can be hard work.  As you will be rotavating it in, that shouldn't be too much of a problem but you may need to cut it back first.

Just one thing to note with any overwintering green manure and spring digging - you need to leave it to decompose for at least 3 weeks and it's not always suitable when sowing seeds (however, not a problem when planting out established plants or seed potatoes)  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 21:36 »
Babbyann is right, it is very hard work trying to dig in rye.

I did it last spring  :ohmy:

So rotavating it, a couple of weeks or so after cutting it down would be infinitely preferable :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Ricey

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 16:05 »
Most green manures do different jobs and will eventually add diffent nutrients to your soil. The deeper rooting plants also break up heavy soils.
Do a bit of research/planning first.
Italian Rye grass is easier to dig in and add a little red Clover. Try this link for an explanation .... http://www.greenmanure.co.uk/italian_rye.htm

Hungarian grazing rye can cause a problem with certain seeds. You'll have to leave planting certain crops for at least four weeks after digging in...... more info here http://www.greenmanure.co.uk/rye.htm

A little planning goes a long way -)

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 16:27 »
Since we have no compost of rotted manure to hand, I was thinking of planting Hungarian Grazing Rye as an overwinter green manure and then rotovating it into the soil come spring.

As a pretty inexperienced allotmenteer I was just wondering whether or not it's a good idea or if there is anything I should be aware of before sowing it?

I grew overwintering rye grass - kept the weeds to a minimum a treat.

Yes, hard work to dig in. Cut down six inches at a time or smaller. I used a cordless hedge trimmer. I was fortunate that I was able to borrow a rotovator,though I would say that when comparing rotovated sections with hand dug, hand digging seemed to produce the better growing medium.

I'm going to grow some as a natural windbreak this year around the edges of the plot for early planting. Once it's not needed it can be cut down and composted.

Windsong

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 16:42 »
Thanks for the info!

We have clay soil that we've worked quite a bit this year -we didn't plant much other than potatoes and have cleared the plot of weeds a few times- so it's quite loose and easy to dig/turnover. We're clearing it of the weeds that have grown back since we last dug it all over/weeded. I don't know if this makes any difference?

Do we just scatter the seeds over the top of the soil?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 16:50 »
I'd rake them in a little and make sure they get watered over the next few warm days.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Windsong

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 17:04 »
Will do. Thanks!

Kell

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 21:02 »
Having spent the last 2 days clearing grass sods and other perennial weeds off the plot where next year's spuds will go, it just seems so wrong :ohmy: to be thinking of sowing rye grass seed on it now to improve the soil fertility. I've not used green manure before, but assume the top if the grass is strimmed off next spring and then the cut grass and roots are then dug in to the soil 4 weeks before planting.  Does this actually kill the grass off or will it just add to the weeding problem next year?

Kell

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 21:06 »
Also, as a follow on from above posting, as wireworm are said to be attracted to grassland, would green manure roots encourage the little blighters that I missed when digging the plot to thrive through the winter months?

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 00:01 »
I grew overwinter Green manure last year. it was a combination of seeds including Rye Grass. I just turned it over using the fork, yes it was hard for a couple of hours but nothing exceptional. I'm growing bird seed this year as it's better value for money.

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 08:12 »
 I've looked at several types of green manure and what is the best for my ground  I've decided to go with a general mix for the following reasons  after so-wings in May it can be left over the summer period to grow and then one presumes turned in around autumn it also contains a good balanced mix that should help improve the soil on this particular part of the Lottie as the soil i bit on the heavy side

depending on the results of using this i think i will need to incorporate green manure  into my crop rotation each year the green manure site does give a good overall picture of the uses for
many types of green manure well worth a visit

ziggy66

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 20:40 »
Giving green manure for the first time too - a Hungarian Rye / Red Clover mix so interested how it goes. Seeds have only just gone in so am hoping that this indian summer gives them a boost.

Plan is to use my strimer and borrow a rotivator to work it all in.

Ricey

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 12:46 »
Also, as a follow on from above posting, as wireworm are said to be attracted to grassland, would green manure roots encourage the little blighters that I missed when digging the plot to thrive through the winter months?

You don't have to use Rye as a green manure, there are many other options.
Some thought needs to go into it depending on your planned crops. What nutrients do your spuds need? What green manure will give you those nutrients? Etc.

Someone at my plot recomended Mustard but I don't know much about it, maybe worth a read up.

You will have to dig in the roots of most green manures pretty well as they can grow back to haunt you. The roots hold a lot of the desired nutrients anyway, so leaving them partially dug in kind of defeats the object.
But Green manures also help with weed supression so should save you a little graft until spring.
They also store up nutrients that would otherwise be lost over the winter.

The wireworm question is a good one that I don't have an answer for.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:50 by Ricey »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 18:12 »
Mustard is a member of the brassica family - worth bearing in mind for crop rotation and club root reasons.

xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium

Page created in 0.712 seconds with 37 queries.