Heat Treated Onion Set Problems

• 3 Replies

Fisherman

Heat Treated Onion Set Problems
« on: September 25, 2011, 05:53 »
Tried heat treated onions from Marshalls this year and the varieties were Fen Early, Hytech F1 and Hyred. Heat treated onion sets are meant to perform better than standard sets by having reduced numbers running to seed. However I would estimate 60% of the Hyred and Hytech F1 went to seed and 10% of the Fen Early. I can only put it down to the weather but I would of thought cool damp conditions would be OK for onions.

I will try onion seeds next year instead of sets. Anybody got any recommendations for a white and red variety along with any tips?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Heat Treated Onion Set Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 06:38 »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 08:17 »
I hav e grown Hytech heat treated onions several times with good results and no bolting. Heat treatment is supposed to kill the embryo flower in the onion bulbs so we must presume that the treatment process did not work.

If you are sure they were supplied as heat treated I would contact the supplier and complain. If there was a batch that missed the heat treatment they will probably know about it already but they may not if nobody has complained.

Even if they were not treated that % of bolters is very high. Mine have always come from Suttons who do not send them out until April because the for heat treatment they are held at a high temperature for about 3 weeks.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 10:46 »
Fisherman - I purchased the same three pack of onions sets. I have got a new allotment this year and I just prepeared a bed - added some gowmore and put them in. I got a decent crop - albeit some were a bit small, especially the reds - from all three varieties - none of the sets bolted . As my allotment was a bit neglected when I took it on - my soil lacks organic matter - it does not hold water well - so I am adding some compost/manure  this autumn. Maybe the poor soil and small crop explains why none bolted!

xx
Heat Treated Onion Sets

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 16, 2013, 13:37
by Tom Hill
xx
Heat treated Onion Sets

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 02, 2008, 20:28
by vegmandan
xx
onion sets, heat treated??

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 13:54
by moose
xx
Heat treated onion sets

Started by Trikidiki on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 21:39
by ecky

Page created in 0.784 seconds with 37 queries.