Introducing new chooks!!!

• 10 Replies

mummychick

Introducing new chooks!!!
« on: September 24, 2011, 19:10 »
Have got 3 chooks and have just bought two more this morning.  My son has made a temporary run and house for them but one of them keeps escaping and the older ones start fighting with her.  I've just put the new ones in their house for the night.  How long should I try and keep them apart and should I clip the new ones wings???  I've not needed to clip the other ones but this one seems a bit feisty!!! ::)

daisy1990

Re: Introducing new chooks!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 19:53 »
You should ideally keep the new ones separate until you are sure they are not carrying any diseases.  If they can be where the older girls can see them that is ideal.  Two weeks is normally recommended.  They will fight when together for the first time so make sure they can get away from each other and have separate water and feed stations.  Lifting them into the same coop at night once they are sleepy is the easiest way to introduce them if they are not keen during the day.  My hens have never needed their wings clipping (even the feisty ones) as once they know where their coop is they dont stray too far from it!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

mummychick

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 20:01 »
Thanks for the advice  :)  Didn't like the idea of clipping their wings anyway.  We will wait and see what tomorrow brings.  Think we will have to make the fence on their run higher  :nowink:

storme37

• Experienced Member
  • tell em it wasnt me boyo
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 20:08 »
wing clippings ok it dont hurt them
1 Salmon Faverolle cross, 1 dorking cockerel, 2 orpingtons, 1 speckle rock, 1 legbar, 1 croad langshan,2 brown lohmann

mummychick

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 22:01 »
I'm too much of a chicken to do it!!!!!!! :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 02:49 »
wing clippings ok it dont hurt them

I agree - it won't hurt them.  But it might make them more vulnerable to predators (that's one of the reasons I don't clip mine).  Also if it's not needed, then there's no point in going through the time, effort and stress of doing it.  Low-maintenance chicken keeping is much more fun than the high-maintenance way! :)

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 09:07 »
I agree about the wing clipping and prefer not to, but have just had to as two new chooks who have been in their temporary home for three weeks roosted outside the run for their first three nights when let in with the others. It was not due to bullying/fighting. Their temporary home is still in the run. They roosted in it again following the wing clipping. At least they are safer there :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Sophilene

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 18:09 »
we have always been told that if you introduce a new chicken at night then you shouldn't have any problems but if this doesn't work then best to put them in a coop and run near the other until the chickens get used to being around each other and then it shouldn't be a problem.
Hope they settle!

Suzybat

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 00:02 »
I had a flock of four and  introduced two Orpingtons, was told just put them in coop at roost time after others had gone, did and the first day they did not come down much, then day by day got better and they now are part of the group, still get the odd peck when theres treats about, but never got too much hassle, I have a mixed flock, from large birds to very small silver partridge pekin, (shes the head chicken)

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 07:34 »
I am still suffering the pain of introducing new chickens - they were apart but next to each other for just over 2 weeks, then moved them in at night, and 2 weeks today they have been together, and its still pretty awful. They are improving a little each day, and one of them is getting there, but the girl at the bottom (who isnt laying yet - not surprising!!) is still getting a hell of a lot of stick.

I am not sure there is the perfect way to do it - I have done all I could, and still its been dreadful, yet some other people do none of it, and get a couple of days of feathers flying!

mummychick

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 18:56 »
Have let all the chooks free range in the garden together.  There have been a few scuffles but no blood drawn, yet!!!  I am still keeping them separate at night.  Will leave them until the end of the week and try and put them in the same coop.  Didn't realise there was so much involved in chicken keeping  :nowink:

xx
Introducing new chooks

Started by riverside_girl on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 11:36
by tanya10
xx
Introducing new chooks

Started by mrs chook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2016, 10:50
by danfinn1
xx
introducing new chooks

Started by allyboy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 21:12
by parsleypig
xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 35 queries.