Seen a terrible case of Impacted crop like this?! More Pics!

• 36 Replies

Missie

Hello :)

I purchased some hens from Fabian Eagle this week and ok,they were very cheap at only £1.80 each,However,not only do they have THE worst case of scaly legs I have ever seen,but one girl had the most horrendous impacted crop!

We have just operated on her and upon emptying her crop it weighed 260 grams,ok,that does not sound a lot but in the picture,the contents are in the bottom of a fibre egg box!

It makes me so angry that Auctions like Fabians and Melton are allowed to sell birds like this,it is even worse that  the owners seem to get away with what is obviously terrible husbandry!! >:(  :mad:

I had to make a 1 inch incision due to the sheer amount of yuk,it is all out now,flushed and bonded together nicely,she is up and walking around ok but I hope she makes it through the next couple of days,it has taken us nearly an hour!-she was ever so good though!
Chicken operation  crop 1.JPG
Chicken operation crop 2.JPG
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:18 by Missie »

Missie

Re: Have you seen a terrible case of Impacted crop like this?!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 16:59 »
And the contents!
Crop Contents (1)a.JPG

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 17:03 »
Awww Missie, that is terrible! Poor girl!  I am surprised at Fabian's.  How they could take in something like that I don't know!      :ohmy: :ohmy:

I do hope she will be okay now!

I couldn't sell anything that was ill.  I would be too ashamed  :( :(

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 17:23 »
Whats that you have taken form her crop?  Hair??

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 17:30 »
As far as I am aware Melton does have both the rspca and a vet who should be on site on auction days. Don't know about Fabians, but I would certainly draw their attention to this - complete with photos as this is disgusting.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 17:37 »
Looks like the hen has been eating bedding of some sorts, straw or hay!  This makes me so angy.   >:(  Well done you for taking on such a case, hope she survives as she deserves some happiness in her life after her mistreatment.  Keep us posted.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Missie

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 18:32 »
I can identify some of the contents,like really long feathers and straw,hay,but there is something else with it,you know,I can still smell it in the house,it really is putrid,I had to get a finger in to get to the back of it all and was not a nice job,she was not pleased but very calm whilst I was doing it.

if you think this is bad,she also has a dire case of scaly leg-pic below,most of them which I bought have it-pretty bad case aswell by my guessing-I have to guess as none of my girls have ever had it so is the first time I have seen it up close!-no wonder they are not roosting very much yet,though an improvement from the first day they arrived after I rubbed the vaseline on.

Chicken operation scaly legs.JPG

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 18:33 »
That is completely disgusting. How dare anyone let anything get into that state?? It makes my blood boil :mad:  You've done a fantastic thing in taking her on and sorting her out, fingers crossed she makes it. Grrrrrrrrrrr.....some people  >:(
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 18:40 »
does she have a fungal infection on her ear lobe
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

Missie

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 18:41 »
Well actually,I just checked and she does have something nasty looking on her left earlobe,do you think I should give her some tylan?

storme37

• Experienced Member
  • tell em it wasnt me boyo
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 20:04 »
i would never buy from an auction again they just dont care what people put in it as long as they make a few quid
1 Salmon Faverolle cross, 1 dorking cockerel, 2 orpingtons, 1 speckle rock, 1 legbar, 1 croad langshan,2 brown lohmann

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 20:06 »

I love this forum, well spotted.  Helps everyone identify the many health issues poultry have.  Thanks.   :)

storme37

• Experienced Member
  • tell em it wasnt me boyo
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 20:06 »
can i ask why you bought these birds they are obviously sick with symptoms you could see from out side a cage?

Missie

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 20:51 »
can i ask why you bought these birds they are obviously sick with symptoms you could see from out side a cage?
well,The first lots of birds were selling for up to £15.00 each,I actually only went for some Turkeys which there were only four,I won two,they are fine.I also purchased a cream legbar and Ixworth both pullets for £6.00 each,in the next cage were brown hens and they looked ok from the outside-you know they push 7 or 8 into a cage and it is not like you can pull each one out to check them over.

I have to admit,ok I saw the scaly leg on some and it is not the worst case scenario-not good,however,I bid on the first cage not realising it was one cage of four,when won,he said,how many do you want,and I said three,so they start off with the first lot of that batch.

The other reason is that there were quite a few there,some in the last cages were laying on the floor,you know,on their sides,I saw call ducks with their tongues hanging out,cockerels like they were just about to croak it and it really was not pleasant.There were some good looking birds in there too but they were bantams,doves and so forth,lots of scraggy game hens there.

Like the last time I was at Melton,I bought birds because I felt so sorry for them and thought,I have the space,I can give them a good home,one they have obviously never had before.Glutton for punishment but I do love my birds and loathe to see them being treated so poorly..

My only problem is that I just cannot justify buying every single one of them,which is within my nature to do so.I purchased some Marans from Melton,they were quite rough to be honest,that was around 2 months ago,they are feathering up nicely and also laying some lovely choccy eggs.

I hope I have not gone on too much,but you did ask :-)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 20:58 by Missie »

Missie

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 20:59 »
As far as I am aware Melton does have both the rspca and a vet who should be on site on auction days. Don't know about Fabians, but I would certainly draw their attention to this - complete with photos as this is disgusting.
Hi Joyfull,
The last time I was at Melton there were no inspectors to be seen anywhere,and the birds were terrible!

xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot
xx
Impacted Crop

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 19:11
by karlooben
xx
impacted crop

Started by nicchick on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 16:57
by Foxy
xx
Is this impacted crop?

Started by Bubbles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 14:09
by Bubbles

Page created in 0.77 seconds with 37 queries.