Rototiller Honda FG110- My experience.

• 11 Replies

Durgan

« on: September 27, 2007, 17:49 »
Small Cultivators Honda FG110G

The Small Roto-tillers. My Experience 2006

The Small Roto-tillers. Choice of a four stroke is excellent NEVER a two stroke. Two stroke eventually becomes a hassle when starting, no mattter how careful one is with the fuel mixture. I bought mine last year (Honda) and it has to be my most valuable tool in the garden. I use it like a shovel, hoe and rake combined. To plant trees, shrubs and to make a simple hole for some plant, for edging, and working established beds, and for breaking up chunks of earth it cannot be beat. The tine shaft runs about 180 RPM, which is much much faster than larger tillers. No rototiller made will break up sod sufficiently. For sod I remove it with a kick sod tool and pull it apart and put it through the yard machine *shredder). Never has grass come up after this treatment.

The Honda FG110 was used to work reasonably good soil, clay with much compost with no rocks. The area worked was over 1000 square feet. This little tiller did a perfect job. If the tiller got clogged with fiberous plant strings, I simply removed the outer tines and cleared the obstruction within one of two minutes. The tiller engine startes with one or two pulls of the starting cord.

To plant onions I removed the outer two tines and pointed the remaining two inwards and got a perfect row for planting about 4 inches wide. I use the tiller by gently pulling backwards without the drag bar. All the work was done at full throttle as it should be with such a small engine. I consider the operation to be effortless, and the result on the soil is simply not achievable with hand tools.

The noise level is for all intents and purposes not noticable, since it is a four stroke engine. It is well built, and has no appearance of fragility or poor workmanship. I simply carry the tiller from place to place as required, or set it in the wheelbarrow.

To use this small tiller amongst large rocks is misuse in my opinion. I have no rocks. Used with common sense, and not attempting to work it in conditions where a larger machine is clearly required this little machine should last a long time.

To make a small bed I remove the sod with a kick sod cutter, spade the compacted earth to the proper depth, then put the tiller to work to condition the soil. On large chunks it jumps around a little, but that is to be expected. A larger machine simply kicks them out without beating them into small pieces. The result is near perfection. Do a google to find the full specs.

Worrying about turning a garden into flour like soil is probably little to worry about. I have spend my life trying to get the chunks small enough for a good garden. Usually I have had clay, but by adding city compost and composted wood chips the soil is friable.

Don't leave home without it.

shaun

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 19:24 »
good write up durgen,a few guys on hear have one of these hondas. I dont agree about a 2stroke that becomes a hassle to start with age,I have some 2 stroke engines that are years old and they start fine
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 20:38 »
i have one that is 1928  and starts better than a 2 yr old honda lolo
still alive /............

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 21:18 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
i have one that is 1928  and starts better than a 2 yr old honda lolo

Only because you do not have the honda set up correctly :lol:

Interesting read Durgan
always have a target
and an objective.

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 21:19 »
nah its the water getting in .... mind it is an outboard  :lol:

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 23:01 »
how about a rite up on the mountfield munty :?:

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 23:03 »
the engine or the merry tiller part mate?

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 23:26 »
the same as Durgan, the machine as a useful tool

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 23:29 »
lol .i dont rate it as much as the howards matey . i reckon its for the real merrytillers to give us the low down on them lol :wink:

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 23:37 »
I rate my F400 its great. But like you Munty i think the rear tine jobbies are the better rotovotors.

muntjac

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 23:40 »
i dont seem to walk all over the soil with a rear tine one and it has a leveliing sheet which is better  :wink:  just an oponion  tho :wink:

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 22:53 »
I can off set the handles to avoid treading on the worked soil. but the rear tines seem to chop up the surface growth with out getting all tangled up.

xx
Honda fg110, Honda fg201 & the Mantis 4 stroke queries. (201 bought now)

Started by noidea on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 23:28
by Larkshall
xx
Honda FG110 boxed size

Started by Snoop on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 05:38
by Gwiz
xx
honda fg110 4stroke tiller.

Started by beansticks on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post March 11, 2007, 19:19
by Bigbadfrankie
thumbup
Honda FG110 Mini Tiller review

Started by Diy-king on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 08:17
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 30 queries.