Welsumers stopped laying

• 9 Replies

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
Welsumers stopped laying
« on: September 23, 2011, 16:23 »
Hi all my Welsumers have stopped laying do you think it's the change in the weather, will they start laying again this year or is that it until next year? they are about eighteen months old they have not been laying very well for a while now no sign of mite (I do put smite powder down every time I clean them out once every two weeks) they have layers pellets and free range on grass, I don't understand it they were laying well and then stopped all of a sudden, any ideas please, thanks, Mike
Mike Rixon

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Welsumers stopped laying
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 16:25 »
They could be laying elsewhere (a lot of mine are) but also the change of seasons - they may start again in Feb/March next year.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 19:23 »
Hi Joyful thanks for your reply I have looked about and they are not laying out as there is no cover for them so it must be the weather (I hope) should I stop the layer pellets now and just feed mixed poultry? thanks Mike

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 19:31 »
it is best to keep them on the layers as you never know when they will start laying again

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 20:44 »
Have they been wormed regularly?

Are they let out at first light and left out until dusk?  If not they might not be getting enough daylight.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

haychickilady

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 21:06 »
My welsummer has stopped too. As has my friends. They are known for slowing down/stopping when the seasons start to change.
I'd read somewhere that the darker the egg shell, the less they lay in winter. But who knows?!!  ???

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 04:58 »
All chickens reduce their egg production as the daylight hours drop below 14hrs.  Most purebreeds like Welsummers stop completely during the darker months when daylight is below 11 hours or so.  WS's are generally not good winter layers.  Also at this time of year chx start to moult and the older the are the heavier and earlier they moult.  Birds in moult don't lay.

If your WS are moulting or starting to go into moult don't expect eggs.  Even when they get their new feathers they will probably not start again until the daylight hours start to increase in late Jan early Feb.

If you want winter eggs get hybrid hens and consider lighting their house so there is 14hrs of light.  Usually the morning hours are extended more than the evening if you want to do this as you need to still lock them in at night.  I wouldn't bother doing this with pure breeds particularly WS as they aren't prolific layers at the best of times even in purebreed terms.  Even hybrids don't lay as well in winter after their first year.

I suspect there's nothing wrong with your WS just give them a rest and carry on feeding them as normal and don't try to restimulate them into laying.  Laying performance in anycase isn't just breed dependant it's very strain dependant.  My Welsummers are still laying as well as they have through summer (which wasn't particularly great) even though they are into their 4th year.

I've not heard that dark egg layers are poorer winter layers and I suspect that there's no genetic reason to link dark egg layers with poorer winter laying.  Though I stand to be corrected.  Certainly my Vorwerks (Ivory cream eggs) are poorer winter layers than my Sussex (tinted brown eggs) and I don't think this is true of hybrids.  Black Rocks for example lay brown eggs and are renown winter layers.  Maybe it's because dark eggs are more difficult to find in the winter gloom so it just appears they are :lol:
HF
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 05:08 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 02:19 »
Keep feeding them their balanced feed all the way through winter.  they need the protein to help them grow new feathers and will build up their calcium reserves ready for their next lot of eggs.

You can also increase their protein a little if you like - just from 16% to 18% might be all they need to give them a little winter boost.  Have a look at the brand of feed you're giving them and see what the protein is, to see if a wee boost might help. :)

(I have been experimenting with different brands of feed and have been finding that 2% difference really does seem to affect things like feather growth and egg production.)

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 13:53 »
Thank you all for your replies they have been a big help, I will carry on with the layers and add a couple of handfuls of growers to raise the protein levels a bit through the moult, once again thanks, Mike

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 14:00 »
do not feed them growers though if it has ACS in - because if they do start to lay again you will have to throw the eggs away  :(

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
stopped laying

Started by Jo-n-Neil on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 23:22
by Jo-n-Neil
xx
Just stopped laying

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 18:54
by Aunt Sally
xx
Stopped Laying

Started by chloe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 17:18
by darkbrowneggs

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 37 queries.