successful cabbage crop

• 3 Replies

rowlandwells

successful cabbage crop
« on: September 23, 2011, 16:20 »

I've had good results from my cabbage crop this season i took the suggestion from her indoors to grow my brassicas in poly sheeting although i had tried this method before with poly strips this time i covered the hole area with a thicker black poly sheeting then
cut individual holes in the sheet basically in rows as one would setting contently the ground had horse dung spead on to overwinter before cultivation in the spring

after planting i sprayed a solution of watered down rhubarb leaves and after the plants got established feed them with a nitrogen based fertilizer obviously the crop was protected by netting the hole area  i only had slight caterpillar damage prior to cutting but the crop may have needed a futher rhubarb spray

several varieties where grow including stonehead EWK and primo most of the crop was put in the freezer for use at a later date

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
Re: successful cabbage crop
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 23:38 »
Well done and sounded weed free as well, did you get any tiny white fly on them ?

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 18:30 »
 Hi Nash weed free but not white fly free they didn't seem to effect the cabbage crop but there where thousands of them :mad:

i cut some crinkly cabbage today they where full white fly don't know the best way to get rid of these blighters i use sticky back cards in the greenhouse but i suppose the best thing there is not to have any white fly at all i am thinking of making some of my own cards with  tractor grease as this grease is water repellent i know it sounds a bit  like trial and error unless someone has any suggestions or can recommend a good white fly spray :unsure:

for next season i think I've sorted the weed problem but definitely not the white fly infestation >:(

RW

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 18:51 »
Treacle is better than tractor grease .

xx
My First crop of runner beans and my first cabbage

Started by H0megr0wn on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 21, 2007, 21:33
by corndolly
xx
Catch crop for autumn/winter cabbage bed

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 02, 2011, 15:12
by seedman
xx
Another successful day

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 03, 2007, 18:25
by gobs
xx
very successful garlic

Started by MARROW HEAD on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 00:43
by chilli-pot

Page created in 1.381 seconds with 36 queries.