Peaches

• 5 Replies

johnys

Peaches
« on: September 22, 2011, 17:00 »
 live in South West France nr to Toulouse summers are warm winters very cold there is a peach tree in the garden along with 4 pear trees done well with the pears but the peaches are still on the tree going rotten and not ripe what have i not done i should have, admitted the early part of the year was wet very wet didnt have regular sun until half way through July

Spana

Re: Peaches
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 17:19 »
From the back of the mind i'm dragging something about peaches needing plenty of potash to rippen.

I'm pretty sure its potash as i remember thinking I'll put the ash from the wood burner around mine. :)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 21:09 »
True, they need potash and yearly feeding with fish emulsion and/or rotted manure. But they really need sun, and lots of it. I located my 3 trees in my sunniest location and they're doing well. I wonder if the pear trees are shading the peach as well as late sun arriving.

Excess water doesn't help much either as it bloats the fruit and causes it to rot faster. If possible, figure some way to lead away excess rain/water buildup around the peach tree, perhaps a shallow trench encircling that tree with a lead off to another area.

catllar

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 12:45 »
I live a lot further south than you in an area that grows peaches apricots and nectarines. Your area (where I also lived for many years) is just on the limit for this type of fruit, as far as climate is concerned.  You need to make sure you have as much sun as possible. You are also prone to damp springs and autumns - peaches don't really like this. They need good drainage

This year, however, even the pro growers here have had problems due to the lack of sun in July and the fruits have contracted a fungal infection which sends them from cannonball to mush with  no intervening lush, so don't lose heart!

johnys

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 15:41 »
Thanks to all those that replied i wonderd if the rain had a lot to do with it very intermittent sun until end of july by then proberbly to late, the garden is south facing so peach tree gets full sun all day and soil has good drainage  peaches are a good size but not ripening  oh well always next year  i suppose be satisfied with pears and hazelnuts

Spana

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 16:35 »
oh well always next year 

I say that all the time :lol:

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 36 queries.