Pyracantha for a hedge near wall

• 8 Replies

richard5565

Pyracantha for a hedge near wall
« on: September 20, 2011, 19:45 »
I like privet, but whilst out-and-about, making special effort to observe what folks were using as hedges, I noticed a nice-looking plant with orange berries. I've since discovered that I was observing pyracantha.  I see you can obtain with orange, red or yellow berries.  I'm not sure if it's okay to mix these in a hedge.

My stepped wall (I live on a slope) is adjacent to the public pavement, and is about 18" high.

Seems a good choice as a hedge to give some sort of privacy and a sense of a barrier between my front garden and the street.  I think it will need constant pruning. I want it to form a dense hedge, to overhang the 18" high wall, which is about 8" wide, and then rise to about 3' 6" to 4'.

Not sure how far from the wall it should be planted. I'm guessing about 6". Hopefully not a danger to children.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Pyracantha for a hedge near wall
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 19:49 »
I would plant it a little further from the wall, about twelve inches, so that the roots get enough space on both sides.  :)

Other than that, it will make a good hedge and if it is pruned regularly to keep long growths away from the pavement edge will not cause a problem.

You can get several varities with different colour berries if you wanted a rainbow effect from the berries   :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 23:31 »
A good strong-growing plant. I've got several round the garden and they can grow very high. White blossom attracts the insects and berries look wonderful in the Autumn before the birds get them. And it's evergreen too.
They do have nasty long thorns but perhaps you can find a thornless one for next to the pavement. (Although it will stop anyone trying to get through!!!)

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 13:54 »
Mixed berry colours should be a lovely display in autumn. Yes - give it a bit more room by the wall. They are tough shrubs and grow big if un-checked but can be trained into espalier, fan and pillar shapes, and they produce more berries that way too. Cut off any breastwood (the stems/ branches sticking out toward you and/ or at the back) to make a flatter shape if needed. Good burglar deterrent too - Ow!! :D
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

richard5565

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:02 »
You can get orange, yellow (or light orange) and red berries. But, I do not suppose you can get each with same leaves, etc.  Nice if you could. I must check that out.

Also, holly would be good as well, if folks don't tend to steal it at Christmastime!

I'm checking out thornless pyracantha.  Might be a good choice. ( I see Pyracantha ‘Watereri’ is mostly thornless).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:09 by richard5565 »

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 23:04 »
Before I had my own pyracantha I used to pinch big bunches of berries for Christmas decs in the dead of night from our local Sainsbury car park hedges.
There!! My secret is out..... :ohmy: ::)

richard5565

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 10:34 »
You can get orange, yellow (or light orange) and red berries. But, I do not suppose you can get each with same leaves, etc.  Nice if you could. I must check that out.

I only want nature to be accommodating, by presenting me a plant with exactly the same leaves and berries, but different colours on the berries. :c)

I don't think it is possible though with pyrocantha. Unless someone knows different.

catllar

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 17:23 »
I always thought the leaves were the same on all the varieties,  but to be sure why not pop along to a garden centre and have a look, if you are really worried.

A mixed hedge would be lovely you could even add a bit of variegated privet to add some brightness year round. Holly makes a great hedge but you are in for a longer wait for berries with holly than with pyracantha as it is a lot slower.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 18:21 »
I always thought the leaves were the same on all the varieties,  but to be sure why not pop along to a garden centre and have a look, if you are really worried.

We have three slightly different coloured berries - the leaves are very similar only difference is a slight variation in depth of green on ours. (Is there a varigated leaf? Not sure - probably not)

The thorns are very sharp and you really would need to keep a close check on it. Trim back to in-line with the boundary wall so no one is stabbed or scratched as they walk by. (If they attempt to clamber over - though luck on them!) Prune back after flowering avoiding newly forming berries.

Older plants might attract a fungus (a sort of grey mold) on the stems. I'm not sure if it's too wet / dry or hot that causes it but ours have grown through this. They are as tough as old rope and can be cut back very hard if needed.

Fire Thorn is a more natural form I believe and bright red as the name suggests.
                                                                                                  How to grow firethorn link

Birds love the berries.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Ivy on the wall

Started by wneva on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post October 04, 2012, 19:06
by Auntiemogs
xx
Wall flowers

Started by greenjay on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 30, 2021, 08:31
by rowlandwells
xx
Re: plant 0n house wall

Started by wneva on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post October 02, 2017, 12:38
by mumofstig
xx
what to grow against a gritsone wall

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 14:52
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.