Should I Force The Issue?

• 5 Replies

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
Should I Force The Issue?
« on: September 20, 2011, 07:55 »
OK, its now day 7 in the Big Chicken House, and still they are fighting!
I moved my chooks together last Tuesday night, and it has been quite dreadful, but no blood at least!

My younger chooks (one just come into lay and the other sometime very soon) spend most of the day trapped up in the house - they do come down a few times a day for food and water, and on Friday were down almost constantly for 3 hours (woo hoo I thought!!!), but hasnt been as good as that any day since.

Basically, as soon as one of the bigger girls goes at one of them the flee for the house - should I force the issue now by keeping the house pop door closed for a bit of the day?

Thanks, as ever!

Sassy

Re: Should I Force The Issue?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 08:03 »
It can take a couple of weeks plus. Better not to interfere as it could set the process back. Its great that there has been no blood! Keep going you can't be far off now :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 08:21 »
I agree with Sassy, it took our new chicks weeks on end to be accepted (and an older rescue hen even longer) its well worth it when you see them all happily together
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 08:23 »
Thanks - thats what I thought, but I wanted to check really.

The Speckeldy is a bit more confident, or will at least give it a go, but the Sussex (who isnt laying yet) wont come down until the Speckeldy has been down safely for a few minutes!!

Blimmin chickens!!!!

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 13:04 »
Lots of feed places and water points - just old biscuit tins or waashing up bowls as it's a temporary measure - and places to get away and hide.....

They will sort it out - chickens managed these things long before we started interfering!
ManicMum

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 19:04 »
I put 2 new pullets into my main gang this summer and they spent 2 weeks sitting on top on the wooden roof over the feeder and drinker every day and had to be put to bed most nights.   I just put food and water up there for them and left them to it.

One day they were down on the run floor as if they had been part of the gang all along and no problems since.

Give them space and time and it will sort itself out.  Forcing the issue may push one or other party into a position where they feel they have to fight for real and that will set everything back. 

Glad there's been no blood so far - hang in there  :) 

xx
Force Feeding

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 21:04
by grinling
sad
Gale force winds

Started by Charlie's Chickens on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post November 19, 2009, 19:48
by Alby
xx
Wing issue

Started by gregnjo on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 19:58
by Pretty Chick

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 38 queries.