Preparing Horseradish condiment.

• 12 Replies

Durgan

« on: September 26, 2007, 23:30 »
Preparing Horseradish condiment. There are two large horseradish plants. I dug up one plant and will prepare the other later in the season. These plants are difficult to dig up, and much effort is required to get the desired product - the roots.

I treat the plant as an annual, and save a piece of root for next years growth. This plant can be invasive, and every small piece of root left in the ground will sprout. To prevent this I rototill extensively, and remove all remnants of root. The small seed root is put in a pot and allowed to grow until about August, then I put in in the ground to overwinter. Usually two plants are sufficient for the home garden. If treated as a perennial I find the roots are sometime too tough and fibrous.

The smaller roots tend to have less fibre and beat up better in the blender. I simply cut the roots into small pieces and blend with vinegar in the blender. The excess vinegar is then drained away in a colendar. The finished product is put into small 125 ml jars. If the product is in larger jars the flavour is reduced and the colour changes with each opening to air. A few roots produce a lot of product. From this plant I obtained twelve 125 ml jars.

noshed

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 10:28 »
I grew mine in an old compost bag with the idea that I could just tip the whole lot out. I'll let you know how it goes.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 11:11 »
Thats a good idea noshed!! That's another weekend job!!
Happy Gardening

mushroom

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 12:34 »
Quote from: "noshed"
I grew mine in an old compost bag with the idea that I could just tip the whole lot out. I'll let you know how it goes.

good idea! On our site horseradish grows wild and is perennial.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 12:38 »
Suppose it would work in a big bucket I'got one about 30" tall and 20" diameter does that sound too big I love horseradish sauce but dont want the plant wild on the lottie
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

brucesgirl

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 15:50 »
There's loads growing in the marshy bit of our site which is left as a wild area. They told us not to pick till the first frost, but to get there early as there is a stampede of plotholders to get at it. As our plot is right next to this bit we have hidden one of the plants!

WG.

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 16:10 »
I also grow horseradish in bags - the big forestry bags mentioned on another thread last night.  They must hold over 120 litres of soil, I'd reckon

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 19:58 »
I'm not a horseradish fan at all, but my grandfather was and made his own. He always added some beets for the colour and to tone it down a bit.

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 20:17 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
I'm not a horseradish fan at all, but my grandfather was and made his own. He always added some beets for the colour and to tone it down a bit.

my nana used stubble beets  lol :lol:
still alive /............

daved

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 17:36 »
right --got me horse radish roots, dug up from the building site i am presently working at, the roots are good loooking around half an inch in diameter and about a foot long---- do i peel the roots before blitzing in the blender or just give 'em a good scrub and wash??
  do i have to cook the roots before blending??
  can i add some herbs and spices or indeed some other ingredients to the blitzed roots before jarring up???
  looking forward to this

WG.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 18:32 »
Quote from: "Celtic Eagle"
Suppose it would work in a big bucket I'got one about 30" tall and 20" diameter does that sound too big I love horseradish sauce but dont want the plant wild on the lottie
Bucket sounds ideal CE.

Quote from: "daved"
right --got me horse radish roots, dug up from the building site i am presently working at, the roots are good loooking around half an inch in diameter and about a foot long---- do i peel the roots before blitzing in the blender or just give 'em a good scrub and wash??
  do i have to cook the roots before blending??
  can i add some herbs and spices or indeed some other ingredients to the blitzed roots before jarring up???
  looking forward to this
I'd scrape rather than peel the root.  A metallic scouring pad is perfect (a soapless one!).  Don't cook, blend with a little vinegar or water.  Herbs/spices not normally added.  Freeze in icecube trays or put into small jars.

daved

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 23:02 »
all done now- and so easy!!!-- had a little taste and blew me head off!! :lol: made a total of 4 pound-will it keep till Christmas?
 taste's just like japanese wasabi paste- :idea: i think i may use it as concentrate base and add to a drop of mayonaise to make a less fierce sauce

muntjac

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 23:05 »
unopened it wil last for ages .opened put it in the fridge for next 12 mnth . if it lasts  :lol:

xx
preparing horseradish

Started by Norfolkbird on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 10, 2007, 15:14
by WG.
question
horseradish

Started by Dirt Diver on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 11:48
by Dirt Diver
question
Horseradish

Started by maxinerscn on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 06, 2011, 17:00
by PeterP
xx
Horseradish anyone?

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 19:28
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 35 queries.