Laying Q

• 2 Replies

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Laying Q
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:37 »
I know that my Orpington's and Brahma's (all 12wks old) probably wont be laying this side of that holiday in december BUT what about the odd pair?
I have a 12 week old Faverolles and I've read a few times that they are good winter layers. I also have a 16 week old RIR which I am unsure about as I've read that they are good layers but I'm unsure if they lay through winter or not. Any ideas?

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Re: Laying Q
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 13:52 »
From what i have seen of RIR if it gets laying before it gets too cold it will probably carry on laying right through in its first year.

Not sure on the others, i suspect it varies by bird and how the winter unfolds this year.

Just go with the wait and see approach heh!

Lew
I hate signatures but love irony

Colernehens

Re: Laying Q
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:53 »
Hi, I have 8 Orpington chicks between 20 and 25 wks old and none of them are laying yet, and I really don't think they will now until at least Feb. As I knew when I got them that it was unlikely they would lay this year, it has also meant that I have kept them on growers up till now, so hopefully they will be a good size and through the winter ok. That said I plan to start them on layers in October when they are about 30 wks.

My adult Orps normally start laying at the end of Feb and stop at the beginning of October.

I was told by a breeder it was best not to hurry these things, So I think the wait and see approach is best, you never know you might get a surprise  :lol:

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang
xx
egg laying

Started by phil-c on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 22:35
by sarajane

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 36 queries.