Celeriac

• 25 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Celeriac
« on: September 17, 2011, 20:26 »
I raised this as a topic months ago but thought I'd update anyone interested.

I've struggled with celeriac for several years in open ground and never got the roots to swell. This year I planted a dozen young plants in my polytunnel in June at the same time that I planted a dozen in open ground (plsnts obtained from Homebase). The advice on here seemed not to be in favour of polytunnel growing at celeriac is a marsh-loving plant and it was felt that a polytunnel would be too dry.

Here we are three months later and the ones in open ground have as yet failed to swell whilst the ones in the drier conditions of the tunnel have swollen to about cricket-ball size. I can only explain this as being due to the warmer, stiller conditions in the tunnel as the soil in there was barrowed in from the same area

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: Celeriac
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 20:33 »
That's interesting. I have never grown them myself, but have thought about it. I did not know that they are marsh plants. Thanks for the info.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 20:42 »
Celery itself is a marsh loving plant, but with its fleshy rootball, celeriac is not overly fond of too much water, only moderate waterings. True, they're of the same family, but not of the same needs.

One tip I have picked up for celeriac is that as it matures you need to slowly start thinning out the top stem growth so the energy reverts to the root rather than lush leaves. Close to harvest time you'll be down to only a few green upper stems.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 22:11 »
I'm a first time celeriac grower and it's doing really well... I've been stripping off the lower leaves for a month now and it is swelling nicely.  I'd say its' about the size of two tennis balls put together... (work with me here, can't think of anything in between a small football and a tennis ball!).  I haven't done much to it either... But it has been very wet here!

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 18:05 »
Here we are nearly a month later and I am just starting to harvest my celeriac, but I am very disappointed in how small they are.  I have followed all the advice and left just a few leaves on top and we have had quite a wet summer - my brassicas have hearted up well.  My query is, as celeriac can be left until the ground until needed, will they grow any more if I leave them for a while?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 19:41 »
I think once we get to the end of this month they pretty much stop growing, although are hardy enough to stay in the ground until needed
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 19:55 »
Very interesting tips here - thank you all!

Celeriac is down for a full row next year, and we are studying the cultivation requirements!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 20:40 »
I managed to grow some to tennis ball size, but they are course and tough as old boots.
The only thing I can do with them is chop them fine and add to stews, no chance of using them grated in salads :(

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 20:56 »
Mine are just starting to size up and I'll leave them in for a while yet despite the cold spell we expect.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 20:58 »
I'd say its' about the size of two tennis balls put together... (work with me here, can't think of anything in between a small football and a tennis ball!). 

Lawn bowling ball?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 14:03 »
I'm on my second year of trying these and have done pretty well, this year - grapefruit sized or a bit bigger,, last years were nowhere near that.

Only thing different was better soil, lots of calcified seaweed, lighter soil cos mixed in with used growbags, sunny position (ever hopeful!) and as others have said, plenty of paring off the leaves.

Oh, and I've earthed up this year. Have about 10 looking really healthy still so will probably leave 'em until early Nov...the wife likes 'em in stocks/stews.

Don't like 'em much meself, only tried this year cos the "old boys" on the plot said it wasn't possible to grow 'em!!!

Phill  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 14:05 »
Don't like 'em much meself, only tried this year cos the "old boys" on the plot said it wasn't possible to grow 'em!!!

Don't you just love proving them wrong  :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 16:35 »
I was just thinking that as I read Phill's reply  :D

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 16:55 »
looks like the only person who can grow celeriac does'nt like them. Perhaps they thrive on neglect  :)

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 18:46 »
Tried twice to grow celeriac and each time failed miserably  :(

Having read this, i may have another go  :)
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

xx
celeriac

Started by bravemurphy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 20:28
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
celeriac

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 16, 2023, 16:28
by Ali T
xx
celeriac

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 14:01
by HilaryG
xx
Celeriac

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 28, 2016, 19:39
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 38 queries.