GRRRRRR mulch and asscociation

• 20 Replies

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
« on: September 26, 2007, 17:57 »
I have been Just sent a letter from my allotment association stating that I need to remove all the cardboard mulch off my plot, I wouldn't mind, but It doesnt look scruffy and is well secured down.  I also have some carpet that was there when when i got the plot, as I don't drive i can't do a thing with it, I asked them to remove when I first got the  plot explaining that I had no way of getting it to the dump and they refused, they want that gone too (Is folded up in a corner at the mo)
Really pees me off coz a few of the other plot hoders have all sorts of Junk on their plots and get no hassle what so ever.
GRRRRRR what am I suppossed to do :evil:   I thought an allotment was supposed to be a form of relaxation not blinking stress.
Ok rant over any advice.
Carlie
Carlie- The nutty one
Now totally ORGANIC and using permaculture design.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 18:52 »
Not sure if this is advice, but it sure sounds like someone there wants you gone, probably so a pal can have the plot. Those are weak excuses they've given you so I'd ask to see the allotment rules and reread your contract. Bet that many others are infraction of the lotty rules. And possibly that the council was responsible for waste removal (your inherited carpet). Check things out before you blow steam.

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 20:11 »
Hi
Thanks Trillium
There are a couple of free plots so don't think any one would want mine, saying that it has improved so much since I got it last year I can see your point.  There is nothing in the contract about card , have phoned the chairman, but he wasn't interested, just said I needed to get it gone.  
It has upset me more than anything I have worked so hard and spent so much money trying to get it how I liked it. Just feel like giving it up now, but know there are no other allotments and I waited 2 years to get it.  never mind hopefully I can sort something out.

WG.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 20:45 »
Quote from: "freyaluck"
hopefully I can sort something out.
Maybe if you offered to cover it all with manure / grass cuttings / straw ?

Spinning Fishwife

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 21:09 »
Could you cover the cardboard with compost or leaf mould or similar?Straw is cheap, for example. I've used layers of cardboard, compost and straw to clear weedy beds over the course of a year...you can cut slits in cardboard to plant potatoes through, for example.

I'm actually a bit puzzled at their complaints as to the cardboard, actually. Using cardboard as a mulch is a long standing technique...if it was good enough for The Great Geoff H, it should be good enough for anyone. Carpet is a bit different, unless it's 100% wool and even then it can be a bit iffy.

If I were you I would write a politely formal letter of reply to the comittee (keep a copy) repeating your reason as to why the carpet is still there and also repeating that you requested it removed when you took over the plot. Add that you'd be delighted to help load it into and out of a car if only someone would give you a lift to the dump. Also ask them precisely why they object to the cardboard (you may quote me on Geoff) and ask if covering it with other mulch material is an option.

I'd also have a good look at the allotment rules, just to see what discretion the comittee has when it comes to interpreting them.

Finally, if you can't beat the b***rs, join them. There's no surer way to get an allotment site running the way YOU want it than to get on the comittee. (Which is why there's gangs of Ye Olde Boys running allotments their way all over the country.) I went on our committee eight years back to represent Bolshie Semi-Organic Recycling Wimmin on our comittee, and the comittee never fully recovered from the blow of having me there. Half of them have now retired, and tour committee is a far more mellow and benevolent group, belive me. (Except when it came to someone using pink nylon carpet as a mulch...that just HAD to go.)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 21:16 »
Carlie don't let them muck you about go straight to the council officer in charge of allotments, and sort it out with them, to many jumped up little hitlers making their own rules up. As for the chairman not being interested there again that's not on. He should be more forthcoming with any info pertaining to your problem.

Sounds like the committee need a rocket up their plots :wink:

God I hate this  :twisted:

Don't let them put you off.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 21:16 »
as for the cardboard tell em rolex .its a recognised form of weed control so they cant say anything .. and the carpet is thier responsibility if it was there before you got the plot ..... little hitlers are prancing about here me thinks go round the allotments with a camera and take piccies of the members plots and others that clearly show which plot and the mess .and then threaten them with double standards . a threat of legal action for harrasment will shut em up  :wink: also check if its a council allotment or private as they have diferent conditions set down  :wink:
still alive /............

gobs

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 21:57 »
A lot of good advice given and you can insist on the rules, which they should have shown you anyway, to say the least, you got to have a copy and that I bet you won't say a thing about this, because this is something the councils are just right now making up, but not changing the tenancy agreements, just passing it down to local management to implement.
In your case, as you say, they have empty plots, they won't do more than bother you with it for a while and as mentioned, you argue your case on double standards and based on the rules. Get a copy! And insist, that it is followed!
Good luck!
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 22:05 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
a threat of legal action for harrasment will shut em up  :wink:

Unfortunately I have to agree with this.

A few years ago we had a tenant who was completely breaking rules on our site and it got as far as solicitors involvement, but the association (who were in the right) wouldn't have been able to afford the legal bills and so had to drop the action and accept a lesser resoloution.

Clearly, it's not you who's in the wrong here, but legal action is legal action.

gobs

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 10:35 »
I don't think this is as serious as to threaten with legal action, you can save yourself the blood pressure and just smile, like you won the lottery: Could I have a copy of the tenancy agreement and the rules, please? Thank you so much.
And I forgot the carpet thing, which you can sort out for good right now. Every autumn each site(but a few) gets a skip! When is the skip coming, please, so we can lose this carpet, you don't want here.  Be persistent with this as at a lot of sites it is not known to members the few old mates pack it up with rubbish from home, I'm afraid. :evil:

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 18:11 »
Thanks  everyone, feel like I am ready to put up a fight now .
 Will right them a letter tonight and get it posted asap.
There is nothing in the terms about carpet or cardboard, but there was a notice on the last news letter about carpet.
Our allotments are owned by the council , but run by the asscociation ( go figure)
Am leaving the cardboard and carpet where they be until I get some proper response and will be detailing this in the letter. Will let you now how the battle continues :twisted:

gobs

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 20:46 »
Someone is very,very cross.  Anger is a bad adviser....I might be missing something here,but:
Cardboard is not in the treaty, cardboard is staying, you won. So, what is it you fighting about? :roll:  :roll:  
May I be as nosy as asking , whom you are writing to and what about, please?

noshed

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 21:46 »
I would definately contact the allotment person at your council as well our one is great and very helpful.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 22:45 »
I can't imagine how it must feel to be a newbie on a plot and be made to feel victimised.  I'm a newbie and although no-ones exactly helped me in that they've done my digging and weeding, they've all given support, encouragement, sometimes plants and vegetables too.  And cups of tea, and seeds... and been clear about how things are done.  

I think that whatever the rules are they've made you feel bad so that's really where you have to sort things out.  I think legal action will just wind people up and if it were me I would write an enquiring letter, asking how they would wish you to dispose of the mulch, please provide a list so I won't be any bother to you again...etc.  Try to find allies, if this has happened to you it's very likely there's a bully in the committee who has tried it on a few others as well.

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 18:29 »
Well I sent the letter explaining that the carpet was their problem and the mulch was staying and had no replt as of yet.  
I have come to the decision to give up the plot for now. I have many other commitments as a mum, PTA member, parent governor, playschool secretary and It was all getting too much .  I know it's the right decision as most of what I grew at the plot I can make room for in my garden (except spuds, but I can cope with buying them) and have more time for the other things.
So I will still be around here .
I am off to clear the plot tomorrow the carpet is staying lol and the rest will come home with me, means pulling up a load of onion sets, but I can live with that.
P.s I didn't get my land, went for far to much over the asking price, so am still on the look out.
Carlie

xx
can i use mulch for.............................................?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2014, 11:08
by 3759allen
xx
Low ph mulch

Started by waddecar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2007, 22:19
by milkman
xx
Mulch

Started by Jd1980 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2020, 13:08
by juvenal
xx
what mulch are you using?

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 18:16
by archies plot

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 36 queries.