Italian Kale advise

• 12 Replies

hubballi

Italian Kale advise
« on: September 17, 2011, 11:32 »
I planted out my Kale earlier this summer and the Italian got off to a great start. Very strong healthy leaves. That is until the cabbage root grub got hold of them. I uprooted them and soaked them in water for a few hours which killed the grubs (my idea). It worked and I have kept them going in containers until I planted them out again. Some have died, been eaten but others are doing reasonably well. Some still don't have a lot of root on them.

I need to know if the roots will recover and grow strong again and if so, is there anything I can give them to help this on. They have all (curly Kale particularly bad) been ravaged by the cabbage butterfly caterpillar but I hope to get them back to full growth. I gave my Mum some curly Kale and they grew huge, thick stems and deep green leaves. Mine are still small and not producing much leaf.

The other option is to sew some more ?

Any advise will be appreciated as we need winter greens..

hubballi

Re: Italian Kale advise
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 13:15 »
Anyone ?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 13:19 »
Please don't "BUMP" your own thread after less than two hours.  Have a look at site policy please for an explanation why.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=19481.msg890311#new
Cheese makes everything better.

hubballi

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 18:35 »
If you don't bump threads they get lost in the pile never to be seen again ;-)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 18:48 »
that means that they have been read by the people on-line, but no-one knows an answer.

You have to wait until someone else comes on-line..your post will show to them as un-read.

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 19:14 »
if lack of root growth is the problem then you could try a fertliser that is high in phosphate to boost the root growth however im not sure that there will be enough time in the season to put on much in the way of size before winter sets in

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 19:16 »
it's getting a bit late to sow kale now but there's nothing wrong testing the boundaries and doing a test sow - sometimes the weather at this time of year can be unpredictable and you may be pleasantly surprised or put it down to experience.

Re: current plants.  If they are not dying, then give them a liquid feed (I've often rescued a poorly plant with a dose of feed) but if they are going downhill, sometimes it is kinder to put them out of their misery and into the compost bin. 

Winter greens - why not try some spicey oriental leaves, chinese cabbage, mustard, also winter hardy lettuce.

hubballi

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 19:43 »
Thanks. I will bear this in mind. I have perpetual spinach to sow too.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 20:10 »
If you don't bump threads they get lost in the pile never to be seen again ;-)
Did you actually bother to read the site policy?  It seems from your answer that you didn't.  You have been a member long enough to know how this forum works and that your posts will not disappear.

hubballi

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 11:58 »
Ok, fair enough  :happy:

TheSpartacat

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 13:33 »
I'd be inclined to try the liquid feed as well.
At the height of the growing season when it feels like there's not enough space to squeeze everything in I'd be inclined to chuck weak plants on the compost heap as well, but since it's coming into the cooler months and i'm guessing you might have a few beds empty, its no harm to give them a chance and see if they do anything?
If you have a cold frame or cloche maybe that might be useful to keep the wind off them initially until they get established better, so they don't rock about with a poorer root system?

I had some kale plants that went in late last year, and they did nothing much until our early Spring and then they went crazy with growth, so i still got a nice harvest before i needed the bed for other things.

As an aside, it does seem a shame that most of the conversation in this thread is about topic bumping... which is slightly off topic.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 14:24 »
If you have a cold frame or cloche maybe that might be useful to keep the wind off them initially until they get established better, so they don't rock about with a poorer root system?

oh good point!  You could also try planting them deeper (I've often planted brassicas a little deeper than the soil level in the pot because of the wind factor on my plot - it seats them closer to the ground and reduces rock.  Don't forget to firm the soil much like you do for cabbages.)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 16:40 »
I gave my Mum some curly Kale and they grew huge, thick stems and deep green leaves. Mine are still small and not producing much leaf.

You need to campare the way your mother is growing them to the way you are e.g. shade, light, spacing, watering, feeding and crop protection methods

xx
Italian veg seeds?

Started by maxie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 23, 2013, 23:22
by compostqueen
xx
Italian seeds

Started by firenze on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2006, 19:43
by Caretaker
xx
italian blend mix.....what should it look like?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 15:31
by compostqueen
xx
What do Italian cucumber plants look like?

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 03:28
by Trillium

Page created in 0.537 seconds with 38 queries.