I have a PLOT.... I don't believe my luck..

• 9 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
I have a PLOT.... I don't believe my luck..
« on: September 17, 2011, 01:04 »
I'm so happy ...  :D :D :D :D :D

Yes....  I have been allocated a lottie PLOT.... I really don't believe my luck.. I only put my name down a few weeks ago with the council and the 2 local association run Allotment sites..  I have been allocated one on my third preference which is still great and only 2 miles away.. (My first pref is only 400 yards from my house and is an old council site that has been closed for a while and re-vamped and not re-allocated as yet - but alas I was not succesful with it. I'll still leave my name on the list for it for future allocation - hopefully).

My new plot is only about 90 sq yards so not a great size but still adequate for me. I will also still use my rooftop garden and greenhouse for onions and a few strawbs to use as fresh pickings when required.. Normally halfway through preparing the meals I remember I need some onions and some strawbs to have for pud..

The plot is a bit run down so need some advice.. I'm going to clear it of a bit of grass and weeds and then I was going to spread horse manure (fresh) and either dig in to decompose or leave on top to be sorted by the winter.. What would be the recommendations of the forum?
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Christine

Re: I have a PLOT.... I don't believe my luck..
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 09:31 »
Lucky you. You are absolutely right to set about clearing and digging over. A thorough clearing is always a good place to start and with the non growing months ahead of you, well you can enjoy the plot and get the soil prepared for next year. As well as getting fit. You can also do all the reading round to learn about which crops will do well on your soil and site so that next year you start out with knowledge in hand.

Just be careful with the horse manure. If you get Aminopyralid contaminated manure, you may well end up suffering as John who runs this site did. It's a difficult one that.

If you can acquire compost, cardboard and have a certain amount of compostable material from home, then that might be the way to go.

gavinjconway

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 09:48 »
Hi Christine - thanks for the heads up on checking my manure..  I have used the same manure now for 3 years on all my veg and garden and none of my plants have been hit so I assume it is ok... It comes from my Son's GF horse so is a constant supply.

I cant wait to get stuck in....  :D  :D I have to wait till the ex tennent has cleared his stuff out... hopefully the shed will stay.

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 09:57 »
i think it depends on how much time you have. The digging is potentially a big task, so when we took on an overgrown plot at about this time of year, we prioritised that. Can't you leave the manure in a covered heap to mature a bit before digging it in?

Also, it's worth maybe sketching out how you're going to use the plot. It's not going to be fixed in stone, but it'd be useful to guess roughly what you're going to do so you know where you are going to grow different veg types, and so where you need to work first and where could use manure going in asap.

oh, and congrats. ;)

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 10:08 »
Congrats on getting a plot...its a great feeling to have your own little bit of land to do what you like with  :D

My tuppence worth....Tackle a bit at a time, don't try and get it all done too quickly. There's no rush now, you've got all winter (unless we have another "big freeze"!)  Plan what you want to grow and where, and the normal advice is not to manure where the carrots / parsnips are going, if you are intending to have those.

I wouldn't bother growing things that are cheap to buy from the greengrocer / supermarket which take up lots of space on a small plot, eg some brassicas, maincrop potatoes.

Have fun...and I didn't find digging to be too much of a problem.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 14:16 »

"Don't go at it like a bull at a gate".   "Little and often".  "Allotmenteering should be a pleasure".   Cannot think of any others just now !   Keep an eye on the plot nearer to home, you should be able to transfer if you wish later.     Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 15:40 »
I agree with the little and often philosophy too. It'll still be there tomorrow  :)  I don't dig at all and my plot is hugely productive so don't feel you have to dig  :)  You'll be surprised at just how much your small plot will produce.  Good luck with it all

There should be plenty of opportunities before the really bad weather sets in, to get some clearing done.  You can put heavy duty black sheet mulch down over the weedy bits so they're not getting worse while you go about tackling the plot bit by bit.  It's pricey but good stuff and should last forever  :)

gavinjconway

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 15:51 »
Yes I do agree that I will do it slowly... not got the energy that I used to have... a good clean up, lay some manure and start to get in in over the next few weeks and months..

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 15:56 »
You'll find that come spring the manure you've laid over the soil will have kept the soil underneath in really good condition. The worms will take a lot of down but if you have too much you can just scrape it to one side for planting purposes and then either use it on an adjacent bed or just pull it back over, especially if you're planting spuds. Now is the time to think about buying overwintering onions, garlic and shallots. These should be available via your lotty association so if you've not done so already, I'd recommend you make yourself a member as you'll be able to buy at reduced prices.  We're ordering seed potatoes for next year at the moment  :)

gavinjconway

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 00:05 »
i already have 100 Senshu sets planted in my greenhouse.. I normally do them in pots as per this season as per normal.. I'll finish them on my roof bringing them out of the greenhouse in very early spring... seems to work for me. Shallots and garlic... not going to do them this year but will get them going next season.

I'll look into the association when I take my tennancy forms to the Lottie secretary - thanks for the prompt.

xx
best luck with cucumbers?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 11, 2007, 13:32
by muntjac
xx
Any luck with cucumbers?

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 22:58
by beansticks
xx
Not much luck with brassicas.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 17:47
by simonwatson
xx
Anybody had luck growing mushrooms?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 23:41
by Auntiemogs

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 37 queries.