should my ducks be locked away

• 6 Replies

dawnie77

should my ducks be locked away
« on: September 16, 2011, 00:19 »
Ive not long had my 3 ducks and they are so different to my chickens, the chickens will take themselfs off to bed but i have just bin out to shut my ducks away and its midnight.do they have to be locked up for bed??? They seem to want to stay out.there in a pen area but not secure enough to stop preditors.they sleep in there own coop and aint in with the chickens.

Surferchick

Re: should my ducks be locked away
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 06:46 »
I would say they definitely need locking away somewhere safe and secure every night. We have chickens and ducks and have managed to get the ducks into a routine of going to bed.

When we go and check the chickens, we clap our hands and call 'bedtime' to the ducks and they head off to their house. This didn't happen instantly but we keep persevering and rounding them up and now they associate the two.

They still have their moments when one seems to ignore you but we always make sure they are tucked up safe and sound before it gets dark.

Hope this helps

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 07:28 »
Unless they have a pond large enough to deter a predator from swimming out to them (so large!) they should be locked away at night.

You can get them into a routine of rounding them up at dusk, like the chickens.  A treat of wheat would help them associate going into the hut as a positive thing :)

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 13:03 »
I asked a similar question a while back, since taking advice we now have a routine which has worked so well that the ducks now line up and stare at the house when they are ready to go in.  We have had the odd occassion when one will decide to run the wrong way but mostly it is really easy to get them in.  Good luck, it just takes a little time and patience.
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

RigsVilleBird

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 19:12 »
My ducks are in a routine now and go to bed with the chickens.  Unfortunately i left my girls out out one evening and i had a visit from Mr Fox. I lost 11 hens and my beautiful saxony duck. >:(   There is no way on earth i would never put them to bed. 

My girls are precious and it takes less than ten minutes to pop them safely to bed. 
Take my word for it pop them safe and sound to bed.xxx

dawnie77

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 23:04 »
well thats that then they will go to bed. so is it ok to put them to bed at dusk with the chickens??
do they need to have food and water in with them at night?the chickens get up to bed and dont move till i open up in the morning, but the ducks i hear calling before ive got out to them in the morning.
ducks are more fun to watch especially  in there little paddling pool but  god they are messy and smell alot more, cant keep up them lol

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 11:15 »
They could go in with your chickens but as ducks don't perch they are likely to sleep under the chooks and get pooped on! There is no need to put food or water in with them. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
new chickens; locked up or let out?

Started by sazmet on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 22:15
by sazmet
xx
Hens locked out

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 30, 2010, 22:24
by hillfooter
xx
Girls keep getting locked out!

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 04, 2010, 10:09
by Silkysmooth
xx
Locked topic about Pamela's hen as we have 2!!!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 22:01
by Foxy

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 37 queries.