Newbie - lots of questions!

• 7 Replies

Louby Jones

Newbie - lots of questions!
« on: September 15, 2011, 14:04 »
Hello all,

As I said in my newbie thread we are planning to get some chickens in the spring (if not sooner ;) ) so I would like to be as prepared as possible.

I have found a lovely local breeder already, but I am feeling guilty for asking so many questions so i'm going to pester you all instead if thats ok?

I am going to get Lemon Millefleur Booted Bantams and possibly some Seramas.  Are these 2 breeds ok to mix together?  How many would you recommend getting?  We are thinking 2 of each, but have a huge garden so will probably want to expand once we have the hang of it all. Girlies only though as I don't want to rub our neighbours up the wrong way with a cockerel ;).

I have my eye on a lovely little house for them and my husband is going to build a lovely big and safe run for them until our garden is more secure, then they can free range.  I would like to paint it in cream and green as I have seen some lovely ones that I would like to replicate.  What paint should I use that will be safe for the girlies?

If I get carried away and buy a house sooner rather than later, will it do any harm to be out in the garden without the chickens in as long as I keep an eye on it and don't let any creepy crawlies take up residence.

Lastly (for now :) ) are there any books that you can recommend that I should read.  I really want to know as much as possible.

Thankyou for your time!

x

dinosaw

Re: Newbie - lots of questions!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 16:13 »
Hello Louby

Cant help you with the Bantams i'm afraid

I can recommend a couple of books for you that are aimed at people starting out

Starting With Chickens by Katie Thear
Choosing and Keeping Chickens by Chris Graham

If you are already thinking that you may add chickens then I would say you might be better getting more than four to start with as it can be a bit of a pain to add them later to be honest. Cuprinol garden shades has a wide colour range (including green and cream i think) and is safe to use. If you buy a coop early it should be fine, you just need to disinfect it thoroughly before you move your hens in.
Hope this helps

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 17:39 »
Hey,

I agree with Dinosaw, buy more to begin with. It can be a nightmare adding to established birds! ;)

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 20:37 »
I believe Haynes do a good manual on chicken keeping. 

The Sabelpoots (booted bantams) are lovely but lay very small eggs.  I love mine and you will find an enthusiastic sabelpoot fan club in this forum.  I don't know about seramas but would be interested to hear from anyone who has or is currently keeping them.

Good luck and have fun choosing your chooks.  Don't forget that pics of your hans (when you get them) are a statutory requirement of this forum.  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Flossiej

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 20:43 »
Hi

I can recommend the Haynes Chicken manual. I am fairly new to keeping chickens and I have found this book really helpful and great to have on the bookshelf to dip in and out of in a crisis, real or imagined!

I agree with the previous posts, get more hens first as they are difficult to introduce new hens to even if it's quite quickly. We introduced two new hens ten days after our first girls arrived and they got bullied.

Good luck
One husband, three teenage sons, one completely blonde dog, two scatty cats, five nutty chooks and an uninvited mole!

Louby Jones

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 21:09 »
Thankyou all so much for your help.

I've been to the library this afternoon and have borrowed all the chicken books that they had so that I can have a browse through and buy copies of any that I like.

So...I need to get more to begin with do I...well, if thats what needs to be done who am I to argue? :)

I didn't realise that Sabelpoots laid really small eggs (I knew they were smaller than usual). Can I mix in a couple of normal egg layers with the bantams or will they just beat up all the little ones? 

If I can mix them, which 'normal' size egg laying hens are the friendliest?  I would like pure if possible.

Thankyou again :)
Don't worry Bantam Novice, photos will be filling the pages at all stages of the project :)

daisy1990

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 07:36 »
wherever possible you should choose hens that will be a similar size so the smaller ones aren't bullied.  It doesn't always follow that the smallest is the bullied hen (they can be the bullies in some flocks!) but it minimises the likelyhood.  I would also have as many hens as you have room for (and time for) but you could also consider buying half as many as you want a year apart.  We did this to build up our flock and whilst integrating new hens is not without problems, you do then have hens of different ages/ stages of laying so hopefully egg production doesn't all stop at the same time!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 09:35 »
Louby, both Sabelpoots and Serama are true bantams, so their eggs are very small.

My poots lay on average a 30g egg which is very large in proportion to their body size.  I believe serama eggs can be even smaller, in the region of 20-25g.  Most people keep serama and poots for their prettiness and for show rather than for egg production.

One other thing to keep in mind... Sabelpoots should really have something soft to walk on.  most are best kept under cover all year round to protect their foot feathers.  Mine rough it, and are in the main pen with all of my other breeds (including a couple of very large brahmas!) but their foot feathers are rubbed away to almost nothing.

Also, as serama as so small, many breeders actually keep them inside (heated greenhouse or similar) during the winter so that they don't suffer (their low body mass makes it more difficult to cope with very cold temperatures than "normal sized" hens.

Another thing to keep in mind, especially with Serama and Sabelpoots, is to read up on the breed standard.  It costs as much to keep well bred birds as it does to keep poor quality birds, so you are better off getting very nice examples.  Both Serama and Sabelpoots are increasing in popularity over the past couple of years, and there are more and more people breding like mad to make a profit, but not focusing on quality or standard, and consequently it can be quite difficult to find good examples of both breeds.

I'm not sure where you are, but both the National and Federation shows are looming in the not too distant future.  If you pay a visit you will be able to see good examples of the birds, and talk to the breeders :)

xx
Im new and have lots of questions!!!

Started by Saffichook on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 12:06
by Saffichook
xx
Lots of Questions!!

Started by FRUITFULL on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 04:19
by mother hen
xx
Beginner.......with lots of questions!!

Started by momo32 on The Hen House

48 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 00:04
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Lice - lots of questions

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 13:23
by Sassy

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 29 queries.