Rubber Chippings for the Run?

• 7 Replies

Skywise

Rubber Chippings for the Run?
« on: September 14, 2011, 16:59 »
Hello Guys

I've been trying to work out which is the best flooring for the run we're building and these rubber things seem to be a good idea, except I think I'd be a bit worried that the chooks will try and eat them.

What does everyone think?  Does anyone actually use these rubber chippings and, if so, have you found them to be (1) safe for the chooks and (2) as easy to maintain as the adverts say?

Any help gratefully accepted :)

bantam novice

Re: Rubber Chippings for the Run?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 20:09 »
I have not tried these but will be interested in what others have to say.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 20:14 »
I don't keep chicken so please bear this in mind but we have rubber bark as a ground cover in our outdoor classroom, over weed membrane.

It still smells of rubber after two years, so much so foxes keep out of the area (not recmmending this as a means of chicken protection -- just illustrates the offensive nature of the smell to wildlife)

There are a lot of very small particles in amongst the big chippings, which might be difficult to keep clean.

OK over to chicken keeprs now  :D :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 22:26 »
Very interesting, Sunshine!  The advertising says the smell will disppear very fast - something like 24 or 48 hours - but I couldn't imagine that would be accurate. 

There are lots of volatile compounds in tyres that would be released when they warm up in the sun.  Hence the smell.  Yuk.

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 02:15 »
The use of rubber chips is quite controversial on several counts.

1   Because they don't rot down they are not liked by environmentalists.  Once put down over a large area they tend to get spread and are difficult to get rid of should they need to be removed in the future.  We have a horse school which is 40m x 20m which is covered with them and removing the horse droppings is a problem as inevitably a large amount rubber also gets collected too.  Separating the rubber from the droppings isn't easy.

2  Keeping the area clean is difficult.  I suspect they are very clean and pleasant when new but difficult if not impossible to keep clean over time which might make them rather insanitary.

3  They aren't as chx friendly as natural materials like wood chip or leaves which chx love to scrat in and dust bath in.

4  There's the danger that they could be ingested and there's always some metal wire left in them though if they are procesed well there's very little.

Personally I'd prefer wood chips though these too aren't without some issues.
HF
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 18:42 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Skywise

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 06:54 »
Hmmm.

I suppose I'm a bit naive to have believed what the ads say - I was just hoping to have found a nice, healthy, easy to clean flooring for the run.

I really don't fancy having the back garden smelling like a tyre factory.  Bad for me and the neigbours but even worse for the chooks.

I was originally going to go for wood chippings so I suppose it's back to Plan A.  At least wood is natural and more environmentally friendly.  Also, I would imagine that you get a fair number of insects in the wood which the chooks will enjoy scratching for, which I don't suppose you'll get in the rubber.

And at least wood smells nice when it's new  :lol:

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 06:59 »
In our run ive dug over the soil and hoed....and hoed and hoed again, last job was to go over the whole run with a soil seive removing all the big bits and stones.
The chooks love it, the soil is a lovely fine tilth and all it needs is a rake over every couple of days to level out the dust baths and turn in the droppings.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 07:23 »
I bought 2 bantie orps from a breeder near me in February this year and he had rubber chippings down on some of his runs.  He thought they were great and was planning to turn over more of his pens down to them.

Can't say I could smell any rubber smell and all the runs had corners or boundary edges under hedges with soil for dust bathing and scratching.  He just hosed the runs down if needed but said the rain did a very good job of keeping them clean.

xx
Rubber chippings

Started by trinacooke on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 06:17
by hillfooter
xx
rubber chippings???

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 21, 2013, 16:06
by pepsi100
xx
Laying down rubber

Started by BigMark on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 21:35
by Rubellite
xx
malcolm the rubber chicken or new fluffy chick

Started by babe on The Hen House

37 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 21:52
by blulagoo

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 38 queries.