chicks first day outside.... how long?

• 2 Replies

F1schuey

chicks first day outside.... how long?
« on: September 13, 2011, 12:15 »
Hi, my little chicks are outside in the sunshine, theyve been off of heat for just under a week and were getting rather exciteable..... so have been taking them out for the odd half hour and they love it.... but someone told me they should be outside all day and night by now and Im just not sure.... they were 6 weeks old last sunday.  One is huge and fully feathered the other is smaller and a little fluffy still.... any advice would be helpful.
They are outside now and I keep going outside to see if they are in destress
I have 1 Lovely Husband, 2 lovely children, Poppy the Jack Russell, Alvin the Hamster, Jemima & Florence, Ben & Jerry the Budgies and our gorgeous Chick Sylvia and Jess aka Terry :D

Helenaj

Re: chicks first day outside.... how long?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 13:23 »
Just keep an eye on them in this weather to make sure they don't get wet or chilled as that can kill a young bird. Also, if they are only six weeks, keep an eye out for predators (the winged variety as well) as they will be fair game until they learn to be a bit "streetwise".

It's lovely seeing them experience the fresh air and grass for the first time and amazing that they know about scratching about without a Mum to show them how. I used to sit for hours with a cuppa and watch mine. Tried it with a cuppa and sandwich, but that didn't work when I was invaded by 30+ hens all wanting a bit! :D

hillfooter

Re: chicks first day outside.... how long?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 03:03 »
Once a bird is reasonably well feathered they can be allowed out and 5 weeks plus is the usual time I use so 6 weeks is fine.  Keep them in the house or confined inside an attached run for the first day so they home to it.
HF
Truth through science.

xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
How long do they live how long do they lay

Started by cammi on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 22:02
by joyfull
xx
Grass - how long is too long

Started by cammi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 19:34
by rachelr

Page created in 0.47 seconds with 36 queries.