Tooled up..

• 9 Replies

Gareth73

Tooled up..
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:20 »
Ok, so Ive established there is no substitute for hard work when it comes to weeds..

But what about the right tools for the job, if you have weeds with quite large roots is a hoe the right tools for the job or is there something which can quicken the process that isnt a garden fork??

Cheers

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Tooled up..
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:33 »
One of the old-time gardening writers (can't remember which) said that hoeing is the single most important horticultural activity of all, and I agree with him!

But.............

It doesn't work on tough, established weeds no matter how well you sharpen it, and many perennial weeds will just start again from the remaining tap roots if you don't dig them out.

Some people have recommended various designs of mattock on these forums, but I don't happen to have one.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:47 »
I tried using a friends mattock, and it seemed to chop through the roots nice and easily, but the bottoms bits of the deep roots still regrew.

So for me it's still a fork for the initial removal of any deep-rooting ones.

Once you've got all the deep rooted/established weeds out, then with the hoe it is so easy to stop them getting big enough to need the fork again.

If you have a dodgy back, I'd advise carful use of glyphosate for anything that the hoe won't remove ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:48 »
I agree with Mum  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

bigben

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 14:49 »
I bought a cheap copy of a chillington hoe from silverline - less than a tenner on amazon. I found it to be brilliant at popping out brambles and breaking up hard ground. I still needed to then use a fork to ensure I had got most of the weeds out but it did make things faster. I can now dig over a bed very quickly with it now the worst is done. It feels a bit strange to be digging over ground then walking forward over it but it really does speed things up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-GT52-Digging-Hoe/dp/B000LFXV2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315921513&sr=8-1

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 19:21 »
Oh, that looks useful. I've got a patch of lawn that I'm desperate to dig out because I want to level it out so I can put a polytunnel on it, but I physically cannot get a spade into it. That might just be the perfect tool for the job.

bigben

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:31 »
Have a look at the vid Shokkyy
2pYNsX2mMd4feature=related

you can also use it a bit more carefully and try to roll off longer sections of turf for stacking so that it rots down.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 13:21 »

you can also use it a bit more carefully and try to roll off longer sections of turf for stacking so that it rots down.

That's amazing. Do you just use it for moving the top layer, and then use a normal spade or fork to break up what you've moved?

bigben

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 14:30 »
It depends what your top layer is - normal turf could be either glyphosphated and then just dug in when it dies or -dug over, raked off, then use the hoe again to break up the next layer down.

If your plot is full of nasty stuff like couch grass or docs, then break up the tough ground with the hoe and use a fork to get out the roots. (glyphosphating first would also be a belt and braces approach if your happy using it).

If you just dug it like he does in the vid then some of the grass will grow back unless it is raked off or buried deeply enough.

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 15:27 »

That's amazing. Do you just use it for moving the top layer, and then use a normal spade or fork to break up what you've moved?

I really want one of those, they looks likes the dogs danglies to me ....wheres my paypal account :--)
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

Page created in 0.589 seconds with 38 queries.