ANY ADVICE, SICK GUINEA FOWL KEET

• 3 Replies

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
ANY ADVICE, SICK GUINEA FOWL KEET
« on: September 12, 2011, 19:00 »
Hi, wondered if any body could give me some advice on a sick keet. It was quite a rough hatching, they hatched 4 days late and very slowly. There are 8 and they were two weeks old on Sunday. I think there may have been a power cut around day 17 of incubation.

I noticed early last week that 5 out of 8 had pasty bums, so I cleaned once a day and applied vasaline. The vasaline really helped stop anything sticking or getting chaffed.

I also added cider apple vinegar to the water, poultry spice to the feed and ground porridge oats. after 2-3 days there was only 2 that where still having problems and a touch of diarrhea.

After doing some research I managed to get a bottle of Coxoid to add to the water and the diarrhea and pasty bums stopped. However one keet, the worsed affected seems really unwell. It is much smaller than the others, although it is getting adult feathers. It always seems to be standing hunched with its head lowered and its wings out and dropped at the back of the brooder. It seems to be breathing heavily and makes a feint gasping noise when breathing, it is not a rattle and there is no discharge. It also seems to be weak and a little unsteady on its feet.

I have taken it out of the brooder and put in a cage on its own so it does not get bumped by the others. It is eating the chick crumbs and I add finely copped greens twice a day. The greens and shredded carrot  has been added since the chicks started eating.

I am still adding the Coxoid to the water.Taking it to the vet is my last resort as I worry that the stress of the travel will do it more harm.
any ideas anybody?
Thanks Chris

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: ANY ADVICE, SICK GUINEA FOWL KEET
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 19:08 »
Hi Chris, I would take the keet to a vet and ideally cut out all treats, just feed it on chick crumb. Out of curiosity is the chick crumb unmedicated? if not stop the coxoid immediately you cannot use both together  :(
If your crumb says with ACS then it is medicated and you need to buy stuff without this in.
Staffies are softer than you think.

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 19:46 »
Hi Joyful
thank you so muck for your quick response, the chick crumb is unmedicated. Will take all veg out as suggested.
Think the vet is the only thing left, maybe antibiotics will help. It is so frustrating, I clean them out once a day and add fresh water as many times as necessary. I am never hatching guinea's again I have had nothing but problems :tongue2:

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 19:53 »
I have recently hatched 11 quail- one didn't hatch properly, yolk sack not absorbed properly, and one died yesterday- I think it got squashed under the brroder.  It is very sad, but the only thing is to try again  :(  I'm really sorry and I hope it gets better soon x
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

wink
Advice on Guinea Fowl

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2010, 14:41
by joyfull
xx
Guinea Fowl

Started by freefolk on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2019, 18:40
by 8doubles
xx
Guinea Fowl

Started by mobyjones on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 03, 2007, 12:22
by muntjac
xx
Guinea Fowl

Started by Nails on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 15, 2009, 20:33
by Vember

Page created in 0.774 seconds with 37 queries.