Bedtime problems!

• 7 Replies

freebirdy

Bedtime problems!
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:16 »
If it's not one thing it's another! The bullying has all but stopped, Luci is holding her own but now it's chaos at bedtime! For safety/health reasons I seperated my new girls to start with so I ended up with 2 coops of girls (oh not forgetting Worzel my boy!) Now all of the birds are mixing freely I want to get them into one coop. Nice and warm and cuddled up ready for the winter months. My original girls and Worz are no problem, they have always taken themselves off to bed when ready. For the last 2 nights I shut "their" coop off and they all toddled off nicely into the winter coop! (hurrah!) However.... the newbies are a nightmare! Kelly (the rescued Poand) never used a coop before, she roosted in a tree in the previous owners (I use that term loosley - tormentors!!) filthy yard. I can not get her to voluntarily go into the coop most eves. Its hit and miss, some times in she goes and settles but only after about an hour of going round looking for places to roost! Yesterday she managed the great escape over the garden fence even though she is wing clipped! She jumps up on anything to get up high! Misty (mummy blue poland) also wanders around looking for somewhere to roost. Little Luci has never gone into the coop by herself, I always have to end up holding her until I've got all the rest settled then pop her in last! I'm spending on average 2  1/2 hours each eve bantam watching in the garden. Grabbing Kelly + Misty and repeatedly shoving them in the coop!!! I have to shut the pop hole door to keep them in otherwise they just escape! So in the meantime while they are getting settled my original girlies are going do-lally because they want to start to settle and can't get in! All 6 hens + Worzel all go to bed at different times, Kelly wants to go first normally first signs about 5pm and Patsy one of my goldlaced Polands is the last to go in by herself usuallly about 7.30. Then I have to wait and put little Luci in last! How can I get Kelly and Misty used to going into a coop instead of roosting? If I coud just get them to go in it would be heaven and I could get my evenings back to spend with my lonely chicken jealous fiance!!!!! Once they are all in there are no real problems, a bit of scuffling while they all find their place to settle then it's bantam peace and quiet! I don't relish the thought of sitting out every evening thru the cold wet winter nights playing "put-me-to-bed!"  It's been 2 weeks now and no improvement!! aaaagghh!!

Casey76

Re: Bedtime problems!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:35 »
Hi freebirdy, first of all, can you please not write in such a big paragraph as it's difficult to read :(

Secondly, it is very difficult to break the habit of tree roosting.  Do the birds have a favroute tree in which to roost?  If so, then the easiest way is to wait until the have gone to roost, then knock them down with a broom.  It may sound a bit horrific, but it's not really.  I managed to retrain about 7 of my LF layers not to tree roost.  it took a few weeks, and occasionally one will still go up the tree, but as soon as I go near, they jump down and take themselves to bed in the proper coop.

Or, if they are not too high, you can go a couple of steps ap a ladder, and just pick them off the branch.  It's much easier to do this when it's dark, and everyone is settled, otherwise, like you say, they come back out and play truant :)

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 20:21 »
I would also advise you to ask you lovely, kind, helpful fiance to come and help with the bed time routine. Work on the basis that it's a 'together' activity. This is an activity that he needs to know about so that he learns his place just like my husband and children. Way down the list!!! :D :D

freebirdy

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 21:05 »
Hee hee! Love it Orchardlady!!   :lol: Can assure u the fiance knows his place already, at he back of the list of kids, cat and chooks!!! He does do his bit I can assure u, he's as dotty about the birds as I am. Tonight was ok-ish, still took forever to get everyone in and settled. All went in voluntarily apart from little Luci who I is still popped in last once the tussling for a spot on the roost bars had calmed down. Even Kelly went in OK tonigh, no escapes! Hurrah!! Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 21:13 »
I found bedtime got easier when I went with their timing not mine: they gradually put themselves to bed around dusk, when they are ready.

If you waited until it was dark enough for all the coop-birds to have gone to bed, you could then use torch & broom/fiance/steps (or any combination of these options!) to dislodge sleepy tree-birds.

If you try to put them in before they are really ready, you wind them up and create hassle.  Think of putting a toddler to bed a bit early because the babysitter is coming and you want to go out - very similar performance of in one door & out the other!
ManicMum

freebirdy

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 09:51 »
cheers for your replies. I am letting them all go to bed in their own time apart from little Luci who I keep seperate until the end because of the bullying thats been going on. Will go on chook watch again this eve and see if they all go in to the winter coop by themselves again. I have no trees in my garden for Kelly or Misty to roost on, hence the up and over the fence!!
It's early days getting them all in one coop let alone trying to get the two roosting birds used to a coop. I've only had them (Kelly, Misty and Luci just less than a month) My original girls and boy were so good fro day one I never had to mess about playing put-me-to-bed so maybe I'm just being impatient with the new girls, after all they are still adjusting to their new home and where to fit in the flock.
Fingers crossed!!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 11:56 »
Is there any way you can keep them more confined closer to bed time so they have nowhere else to go except into the coop?  This worked with my pullets.  I built a temporary fence out of bamboo garden stakes and bird netting.  Perhaps you could make a smaller run and scatter their evening snack in there to lure them in.

freebirdy

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 12:16 »
I have a foldable run (for sickness/isolation) so I suppose I could pop them in there if I adapted it a little bit and take out a side mash panel so they can gain access to the coop. May be a bit of a squash with 7 birds though!! It's only 6' x 6'  x 24" but I will give it a go and see how things pan out. Thanks for that idea!

xx
bedtime?

Started by poohpouri on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 14:59
by viettaclark
xx
bedtime

Started by jaq on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 16:02
by joyfull
xx
help with bedtime please

Started by zopadooper on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 16:45
by AL Hathaway
xx
Bedtime?

Started by Gobsheen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 22:22
by splash101

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 31 queries.