Now she can't stand up...

• 10 Replies

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
Now she can't stand up...
« on: September 11, 2011, 21:02 »
We have recently managed to nurse our Layla through what we think was an overdose of elderberries.  We think she scoffed quite a few with the possibility of some unripe hence toxic ones mixed in.

She was really poorly and we had to encourage her to drink and eat.  Over the course of 5 days she got stonger and eventually went back to the run.  We have had to pop her up on the bars to roost at night a couple of times, but on the whole whilst looking leaner seemed to be doing ok.

However, when I opened up the house this morning, she was on the floor and could only just shuffle towards the door.  I made her some porridge and she did manage to walk over and stand to eat it which she did like it was the first food she had eaten in ages.

During the day though she seems to have lost the use of her legs!!  She seems bright in herself eating and drinking, but just cant support herself. We have isolated her once again  :(

We have had a search on here and worrying that it could be Mareks  :( but could it be she is just weak from not having eaten properly?

Any comments appreciated

Thank you Emma
Emma

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Now she can't stand up...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 21:46 »
I would get her to a vets in the morning for a check up  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 01:13 »
Totally agree doesn't sound good and I doubt it's anything to do with elderberries. 

Just a long shot but have you checked her legs for scalely mite which usually show their presence with raised scales on the legs particularly at the lower front of the leg where it meets the foot.  If so use 4 drops of Frontline on the skin at teh back of the neck using the cat spot on pippettes.

HF
Truth through science.

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 19:23 »
Thank you both for your replies.  I took your advice and took Layla to our chicken vet.

I am afraid he was completely baffled as to why she wouldn't use her legs, but did confirm that she had lost a lot of weight and her thought she was very possibly in pain.  She had started to have very bad smelling pooh and was starting to pass food whole, so in balance we decided it was best to put her to sleep.

Very sad as I thought we had pulled her through the worst, but I couldn't let her suffer  :(

She was such a lovely natured and inquisitive little chook.......xx

Emma

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 13:56 »
Really sorry to hear about Layla  :(. I know it is really hard but if she was suffering then you know you have done the right thing for her.
Helen

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 20:06 »
sorry for the sad outcome, but really think you took the best option and she won't be in pain anymore  :(

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:25 »
Thank you all for your kind words.

It is always a hard decision when they are pets.  I will always wonder, would she have got better...but deep down I think I know that she probably wouldn't  :(

Been a tough few months losing 3 to peritonitis in as many months and now Layla.  We only have 2 from the original flock left, the irony being it is Bluebell who moults in the snow and Felicity who I rescued fromt he jaws of a fox!!!  They are all 3 years old so I guess in chicken terms not a bad age.

Still on the positive side we are prepping ourselves for some new arrivals to cheer us up  :)

Thanks again for the support.

Emma

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 20:08 »
 So sorry to hear about Layla  :(
Good luck with your new arrivals and don't forget the pics.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

NormandyMary

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 21:28 »
So sorry to hear about Layla, Emma. Just think now that she is in Chookie Heaven with all our little babies, scratching around up there, pain free. Thats how I think of mine when they die, and it really helps.

Mary.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 07:30 »
That's such a shame when you nursed her back from the brink  :( 

You did the right thing as chickens are so good as masking illness and pain, you could have gone on for weeks with poor Layla having a rotten quality of life. 

Don't let your spate of bad luck put you off.  Give the house and run a good clean up and plan your new arrivals  :)

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 12:52 »
Thank you all for your kind words and support, it is lovely to know there are so many people out there that understand how attached we get to our girls  :D

xx
Hen will not stand!

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 08:45
by ehs284
xx
chicken can not stand up

Started by jules66 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 20:08
by bantam novice
xx
bad hatching, now cannot stand

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2014, 12:33
by Sassy
xx
Cant stand the wait!!!!!!

Started by RigsVilleBird on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 14:16
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.539 seconds with 38 queries.