Sparkless Huskvarna 165R brushcutter

• 8 Replies

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
Sparkless Huskvarna 165R brushcutter
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:45 »
I need to get the flywheel off a Husqvarna 165R.
(This brushcutter was made in January 1980.)

Any hints, comments, suggestions or experiences on how to do this without damaging the flywheel, without the usage of the original special pullers/tools, would be most appreciated :)

I have cleaned and checked the brushcutter.
Shaft and splines are ok. Bevel needs to be opened (taken apart) and cleaned (the grease is contaminated with something resembling "gravel"; could be dust or most likely bearing and/or bevel wear...).
Started and ran nicely (2011-09-09), but simply utterly refused to start the next day (2011-09-10)... no spark... no matter which plug I used...

The brushcutter is not mine, it belongs to a friend of mine - me and my big mouth(!)... "bring it over to me; I'll fix it in a jiffy"... sure... He -did- say it did not start. However, it did start when he bought it over (you should have seen his face when it started!), and as I wrote above, it ran nicely 2011-09-09... The next day it was sparkless...

It has become a matter of prestige; "Man over Machine!" :D

100_3307.JPG
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 09:50 by Swed »
Albert

smud6ie

Re: Sparkless Huskvarna 165R brushcutter
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 11:57 »
I am assuming you have disconnected the wire off the stop switch to eliminate any fault in it?
From what I remember, the F/W has a thread in the centre for a puller?
What sort of tools/equipment do you have access to/ slide hammer?welder?

smud6ie

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 14:27 »
Correct.  I have made certain that I have not missed a silly fault like a bad plug, broken wire, etc.  There is no current through the wire.
Typical fault when a condensator or/and braker point is bad. Could also be the coils. All these parts are hidden behind/inside the flywheel...

What Huskvarna recommends is a special puller that is bolted to the flywheel and the extractor is screw onto(?) the center of the adaptor. I tried to upload a pdf file, but forgot the limit of 128kB.
Tools:
http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/HUSI/HUSI1980_AAaa/HUSI1980_AAaa_I8000102_.pdf
Spareparts:
http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/HUSI/HUSI1980_AAaa/HUSI1980_AAaa_I8000004_.pdf

I think I found some data on a sheat to model 244 or 256. Just can't find the site where I found the file. Could be at:
http://www.husqvarna.com/se/forest/support/download-manuals/?query=165+R&types=O%2cE%2cI

My thought is to use a steel plate, modify it so that I can use a standard two-arm puller/extractor.

100_3306.JPG

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 21:20 »
The flywheel is stuck... heat, rubber mallet, nothing happend...
100_3323.JPG
100_3321.JPG
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 21:22 by Swed »

smud6ie

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 22:48 »
I think most of the pullers efrort may be being absorbed trying to distort the plate you have bolted to the F/W,the arms are anchored behind the most flexible sides.
Before trying to beef up the plate try this:  put grease on the puller threads and the contact area between the end of the screw and whatever you have protecting the threaded end of the crankshaft.then apply some pressure and while its still on,give the bolt head on the end of the puller screw a sharp crack with a copper hammer, a rubber hammer doesn't give a shock effect which is whats needed.
I'm sure you will have checked that all the effort of the puller is all aganst the crankshaft, not against the f/w ?

smud6ie
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 22:50 by smud6ie »

grendel

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 23:50 »
yes definately tighten the puller and sharp rap on the hex head of the puller - towards the flywheel with a hammer (I have a bronze clubhammer that gets used in this function) my puller is a larger sized 3 legged puller - which i have to struggle to hook behind the flywheel itself.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 18:35 »
Thank you  :)

I've made several misstakes!
I do have a lead-hammer - now I understand what to use it for!  :D

I have decied not to press my luck with my puller. Looking at the costs, it is acceptable (and prudent) to buy the propper puller. It will cost about 60EU (ca 567Sek).

http://www.hakma.se/product/79121-avdragare-sats-kpl-.aspx

http://www.hakma.se/product/79074-avdragare-med-skruv.aspx

What matters is that I -did- try and choose to back-off before I made a mess of things; and the nice and very helpful comments from you guys :)
image002.JPG
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 19:10 by Swed »

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 20:24 »
I failed to get the flywheel off the crank...

So as a token of gratitude to my friend, who entrusted his machin with me, I opted to fix the damaged "shorting" wire and the HT-lead and cap.

I pulled a woven heat protection tube over the wire, and put a new insulated flat-connetor on it.

The damaged and too short HT-lead had to be elongated and a proper cap attached. I choose to use a piece of a discarted silicon high quallity HT lead from my beemer, and a B&S standard sparkplug cap.

Since I have to remove the carburettor to gain access to the wire and HT-lead, I took the opportunity to use compressed air to blow clean the attachment of the carb to the head/cylinder. There are at least two drilled "channels" in the attachment. One straight into the engine, and the other to the side of the inlet to the combustion chamber. It looked kind of clogged.

I also re-set the jets. Some ... had turned the low-rev to 3/4 and the high to 1... The manual states that the ground jetting is 1 turn on the low and 3/4 on the high... No wonder my friend was using >>5% 2-stoke mixture!!!

After these minute cosmetic corrections, the engine started!!!  :ohmy:  ???  :lol:  :)
100_3329.JPG
100_3340.JPG
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 20:29 by Swed »

Swed

• Nice cup (pint) of Tea
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 20:27 »
The wire insulation:
100_3332.JPG

xx
briggs and stratton is sparkless

Started by lippett76 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 05:05
by Gwiz
xx
Brushcutter

Started by TheSpartacat on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post May 13, 2013, 00:15
by jezza
xx
Husqvarna 165 brushcutter

Started by sion01 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post March 03, 2014, 21:05
by sion01
xx
Looking for a new lawnmower or brushcutter

Started by Dominic on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 11:27
by Dominic

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 31 queries.