Poorly Banty

• 8 Replies

paintergirl

Poorly Banty
« on: September 09, 2011, 15:35 »
Hi! :wub:  First post and I'm asking for advice!!!  ::)

I've got three bantys, all under a year old, and this morning I found one collapsed in the coop. I've removed her from the coop and have her in the house in a dog cage at the mo.

Friends have been giving me advice so I've cleaned out and disinfected the coop, dusted it for red mite (although I found none) and put new bedding in.

When I found her she was surrounded by fairly solid poop some with strands of guts in, which I know isn't unusual. She's lethargic, but I do have her eating and drinking. So far she's managed a hard boiled egg and a bit of bread and soya milk. I also bought some mineral powder (Total Poultry Solution) and some worming powder (Flubenvet) and mixed this with the pellets. My two other girls have been tucking into this all day. Miranda, the sick one, has got a bit of the mineral powder mixed into her soaked bread. I've also got some cider vinegar in all of their water.

My first thought was cocci, but I'm not convinced.

Any ideas??

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Poorly Banty
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 15:37 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I'll pop you over to the Hen House, where questions about chickens go.  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

paintergirl

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 15:38 »
Can I also say thanks to Aunt Sally for the poop pictures!  :lol: They helped enormously when trying to explain what I was seeing!

Thanks Yorkie - I thought I was in the right place  :nowink:

paintergirl

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 08:31 »
Well Miranda has made it through the night. She's been up for a cuddle and is now pecking away at a hard boiled egg. She's still quite weak and I'm wondering if she's anaemic?

Any advice is greatly appreciated  :)

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 09:11 »
Good news about Miranda.  I am not an expert but if you are worming her I would see how that goes.  How many other banties do you have?  If she has a companion with her she may do better than on her own.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

paintergirl

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 12:17 »
Hi there :) I have three banties - all Pekin, one brown, one mottled brown and one black.

You may be right about her missing the others. I was going to give her today in the isolation ward and then pop her back tomorrow to see how she gets on. At the moment I don't think she could jump up onto the perch, which is maybe why I found her lying on the coop floor - she maybe tried and collapsed.

paintergirl

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 07:43 »
Scratch that last reply :( As of this morning I have two banties  :( I woke up this morning to find Miranda had passed away in the night. Unfortunately I had to work yesterday and just couldn't wake her up every hour to feed her like I did on Friday. I honestly thought that she looked a bit stronger on Friday evening.

However...

The other chooks look happy and healthy. I just hope that whatever she died of isn't catching :(
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 11:42 by paintergirl »

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 08:22 »
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Miranda  :(

paintergirl

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 11:52 »
Thank you :)

I'm going to leave it a month or so and get another pair to keep my other pair company. I need to be sure that they are healthy :)

I'll definitely stick around now that I know this site is here!

xx
Banty with poorly leg

Started by kitkat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 01, 2009, 16:38
by kitkat
xx
Banty with closed eyes

Started by barneyowl on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 21:16
by Foxy
xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
poorly hen

Started by Elida on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 16, 2008, 19:36
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 36 queries.