got rid of red mite

• 15 Replies

ste23

got rid of red mite
« on: September 05, 2011, 13:23 »
went back to the lady who we had the chikens off brought some stuff of her  that i had to paint on the coop inside and out as we had a very bad infestation ,,not now they have gone and our chickens are happy as we are back to five eggs a day i can find out what the stuff is called if any body else wants to try it
 :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: got rid of red mite
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 13:45 »
please do find out what it was called as I'm sure it would be of interest to people on here  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Abacus

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 12:10 »
please do find out what it was called as I'm sure it would be of interest to people on here  :)

Ditto!
TTFN Jim
House Husband (Certified)
! Barnvelder Cockerel
1 Welsummer
1 Welsummer mix
1 Salmon Favorella
4 Rhodie Hybrids

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 16:50 »
Awaiting with baited breath here Ste23!!

Orchardlady  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 16:52 »
<twiddles thumbs>  Hope it's not an illegal for amateurs product  ::)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 16:55 by Aunt Sally »

Spana

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 17:37 »
<twiddles thumbs>  Hope it's not an illegal for amateurs product  ::)

Just what i was thinking but didn't like to say :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 18:02 »
if it is for professionals only it won't make the approved list in the poultry information section  :D

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 18:09 »
You have only had your chickens a few weeks havent you? How on earth have you got such a bad infestation so quickly? Was it a pre-used house?

ste23

Re: got rid of red mite stuff
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 20:32 »
hi just spoke to the lady ,the stuff for getting rid of red mite is called diatom and it fossilised sea shells , and some times its called smite but you have to buy the powder and mix it into a paste and paint it on the coop inside and out it took me and my daughter 4 hours to do but it was worth it the lady said my chicken was at deaths door but now she looks as good as the others , ,we was told to take the straw out as the red mite live in it because its hollow ,,i still look every day and nothing ,and to say we had a realy bad case of it   we had a brand new coopthe lady cant understand why we had it so bad 

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 02:22 »
New houses are treated with a preservative which usually includes a component (insecticide) to kill woodworm and other wood boring insects.  It kills red mite too.

Diatom (DE) doesn't usually zapp a established bad infestation of red mite but it does deter them colonising a house initially as they don't like the abrasive dehydrating conditions.  Already established colonies are usually deep into the cracks and crevices into which the DE doesn't penetrate.  The likelihood is therefore that the infestation came in with the straw and getting rid of it and the insecticide in the wood preservative did the trick not the DE.

Incidentally the wood preservative used to treat new wood is usually pressure injected and the actual chemical is pro use only so you can't reapply the same again.  The preservative you can buy at B&Q is just a water repellant so doesn't contain an insecticide.  This is why often new houses aren't infested for several years until the initial injected preservative is leached out with frequent washing with detergent (Poultry Shield for example) and rain.  Novices are often lulled into a sense of false security thinking they are immune from RM as they usually start with a newly treated house.

HF
Truth through science.

clairerey

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 15:06 »
Heya not too far off topic.. i found two big red mites on the lid of the coop. i have searched everywhere else, even took the felt off and cant find anymore. Am i just missing them or is it possible that we only had two?
claire x

hillfooter

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 15:22 »
In the day time they hide well.  If you had roof felt you will definitely have a colony somewhere.  In a joint in the wood under a perch somewhere you can be sure.

HF

Casey76

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 15:33 »
Red mites are tiny and in day time are usually grey in colour (they can be mistaken for ash or dander when in clumps).  They only turn red when they have been feeding, at night.

Are you sure you haven't seen red spider mites which are a completely different arthropod and completely harmless to chickens?

Julias hens

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 10:25 »
Am reading your red mite articles closely as we have had trouble all summer!!!   Everytime I think I clear a house of them they seem to sneak back a short while later.  Now am looking to move the hens into winter accommodation I would like to sort their houses out properly - any advice please
 :blush:

ste23

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 18:18 »
hi i was told that they can walk up to 10 metres so i clean ours out as far away from the coop
as  i can, we had red mite  very bad figers crossed the little beggers have gone and i dust the girls with buz busters louse powder by nettex

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
Red mite

Started by Truffle on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 00:42
by Abacus

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 39 queries.