Cuddling & Stroking

• 9 Replies

Anndee

• Experienced Member
Cuddling & Stroking
« on: September 04, 2011, 22:14 »
Daft question I know but how many of your chickens actually let themselves be picked up and carressed?
I would so love it for mine to start to jump up onto my knee, or along side me on the bench, for some treats or allow me to pick them up for a cuddle. I suppose I'm just been impatient but none of them, not even George now want me to encroach into their spaces. I can gently rub two of them's chests while I feed them treats but most of the time they wont let me near them. Am I been hasty??
Also what is the best way to actually manage to get hold of them, gently, to get them used to being handled. Even when I try after they've gone in to bed they all edge away from me, to the point of standing on each other.
I am managing to hand feed them their treats twice a day now and they will all come and feed from my hand which they wouldn't all do a few days ago. Live mealworms seem to be doing the trick :D they can't resist them. Its funny but its only a few weeks ago before I got the girls that George wouldn't even look at live mealworms, now he can't get enough. Is it an age thing or do they just see others eating things so give them a go?
they all come galloping up to me when I pop out into the garden (free range) and say 'hello, what have you got for us', so it can't be cos they don't like me. And they do come when I call them. Well most of the time!!!
Thanks
Anndee
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 22:16 by Anndee »

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Cuddling & Stroking
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 23:30 »
What breed are they, how old, and how long have you had them?

Some breeds (eg silkies and pekins) have a reputation for being more 'cuddly' than other breeds. Some (eg leghorns) would require amazing patience on behalf of the owner!

My pulllets are definitely not the cuddly type, despite me having them since March and treating them with a lot opf patience and gentleness.  But since they have started laying they now curtsy for me (actually a mating crouch  ::)) so now I can stroke them.  They still object to being picked up though.

I think the main thing to remember is that chickens are not like dogs and cats, so they don't crave cuddles the same way.  With a dog or cat you're going with its natural instincts, but with a chicken you are going against its natural instincts when you handle it.  So you need to be much more patient.

kensington chicks

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 14:04 »
Hi Anndee,

I have had my six girls since June.  I have two Warrens Rosie and Ruby who will let you pick them up and cuddle and sit on my knee ( for a while  :dry:).  Lily and Daphne are Sussex and they will also let me pick them up - although they are really heavy! The final two are Black Columbians ( i think ) and they are a lot more wary.

Like Lindeggs girls they go down into the crouch position and I just gently pick them up and put my arm underneath them so they feel safe.

Keep going and stroking them and they will get used to it.  Always want a treat though :D

KC x

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 11:09 »
Many thanks for your replies.
they are 3 Pekins, 2 female 1 male and 1 wyandotte bantam, female.
I suppose I just need to be more patient. I can be that  :wub:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 17:13 »
You need to be able to pick up and handle your girls for welfare reasons.  Checking their weight and condition, plus checking for parasites is an important part of their welfare, so perservere with method Lindeggs and Kensington chicks recommend.

I always do this first and then offer treats so they are clear the indignities of health checks are over.  They forgive me really fast when a few mealworms are on offer  ;)  Handfeeding is a good start, but they aren't really bothered about cuddles in general  :)

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 16:11 »
Glad I read this post, my girls that are now laying have just started this so called ' mating crouch' I wondered what they were playing at as they just crouch right down as if they are cowereing away from me, but they arent trying to get away so it looked strange. Glad thats normal as i was worried they were getting scared of me and as i am such a softie it wasnt very nice.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 22:37 »
The best way to get to be able to pick up the chickens is just to be a familiar part of their lives - sit in the run with a cuppa and a biscuit.  Scatter corn around your feet or on your knee.  Try eating a sandwich and see how soon you have to fight them off......

Seriously, as they get used to you pottering around tidying the run or poo-picking the house, especially if little treats occasionally fall from your pockets,  they will start hanging around and getting under your feet.

Sometimes when I am inelegantly head first in the coop door with my little plastic rake and spade, one or more of the girls comes in the pop hole & eyes me up - for all the world like Hyacinth Bucket checking up on the cleaner!  But it's taken about 8 months or so for them to get to that stage.

Even now, they don't want to be picked up or cuddled (although they accept it when necessary), but will tolerate polite stroking and conversation.
ManicMum

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 13:24 »
i have two light sussex and a rhoad island red.

I had them from 10 weeks and they are now 35 orso..

They are tame as anything, come and eat from my hand, be picked up and even perch on my limbs!  (this sounds cute but is annoying when im dressed for work and end up with a claw shaped dirty mark on my shoulder while im changing the water!!!)

I just pick them up regularly when they were little (confined to a small enough run so i could catch them easy) then just gave treats and generally made sure i was amongst them a fair amount of the time.

I think in general, if there is a trick, is that they wont be very tame if they have the whole garden when they are young, as catching them is very tricky.  Where as in a smaller run, i had hold of them before they realized what was happening!

i can now pick up all three in one go and they come running when I whistle!
I hate signatures but love irony

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 15:26 »
Mine (apart from one) have never liked being picked up but i have them trained to line up on a handrail 60cm off the ground to get any treats. This makes them easy to pick up and inspect without a lot of flapping and chasing !. :)

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 20:00 »
I Like the sound of getting them all lined up on a hand rail for their treats. i might start to try and get mine to do that.
Your probably right about the free range in the garden Lewjam. that could well be it. They're in for a shock next month when we go away for 3 nights and they are confined to their house and run!!
they might appreciate me a bit more then ::)

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 38 queries.