Help - really bitter Winter Festival Squash

• 7 Replies

GSDPenny

Help - really bitter Winter Festival Squash
« on: September 03, 2011, 16:54 »
This is my third year of growing these, and the fifth year of growing butternut squash and I have never encountered anything quite like it.

I picked 5 smallish winter festival squash yesterday, about the size of an average man's fist so a bit smaller than the squash usually are, and cooked them all, and 2 of them were really, really bitter.  So bitter that the minute you bit down on them you had to get them out of your mouth immediately.

Anyone know what might have caused this?  Both outwardly and inwardly, the 2 of the 5 that were bitter looked exactly the same as the others, which tasted just as sweet and nutty as they have done in previous years.

I've done nothing different in growing them this year.  Watered and fed regularly, but I'm really disappointed as I won't have confidence to cook stuffed Winter Festival this year - it could ruin an entire meal!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Help - really bitter Winter Festival Squash
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 17:31 »
I've grown Winter Festival for the last 4 years with no problems until this year (the problem this year being I had to plant them out late and even they they were very slow to get going.)

I don't know the answer to your problem, but wonder if it is one of the two possible issues discussed on here recently regarding cucumbers:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=83067.msg926984#msg926984

If you have other cucurbit varieties nearby cross-pollination is a possibility, although the usual understanding seems to be that only the seeds would be affected by that (which you don't eat, of course.)

Sorry I can't offer anything with any more certainty or usefulness than that!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 17:36 »
I think it's the dry conditions this year............that would be why they were smaller than normal as well :(

It doesn't explain why some were ok and some weren't, perhaps slightly different conditions at a crucial point in their growth  :unsure:

GSDPenny

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 13:08 »
Thanks for your responses.

I reckon they've probably had more water than previous years as I've been so much more conscientious because of the dry conditions and I do love my squashes.

Maybe I'll just have to approach the smaller ones with caution - 2 of my 6 plants have thrown out smaller fruits, but as well as the large ones, so no apparent consistency in that either.

It's a lot to ask, but if anyone has grown these this year would they be prepared to taste a small amount of uncooked squash to see if there's any bitterness there before cooking? 

I'll understand if you're not keen (it's a lot to ask for a complete stranger who hasn't posted on here for ages but used this forum to get me up and running with an allotment and can safely say my crops are normally fabulous because of all the info on here), but it might be a way for me to save all that time and effort in preparation and cooking something which is going to poison me!

GreenOwl

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 21:32 »
Hi GSDPenny,

I picked 2 of my winter festivals (which I haven't grown before) 2 weeks ago and ate them that weekend - sorry should have posted before.

I remembered your post and did try a little uncooked.  It wasn't bitter and nor were they when I cooked them.  Not sure how that helps really.

JohnB47

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 23:27 »
Someone said that squash didn't do well this year because of the generally low night time temperatures. Certainly mine were poor, quantity wise - I haven't tried eating the ones that actually grew yet.

joyce9

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 20:26 »
Hello. The first few winter festival squashes I had were fine but the last ones I harvested were bitter.  I cooked a dish of mixed vegetables for some visitors - very embarrassing!  I think I shall have to throw them all away.  I've been trying to find out why it happened but not got an answer yet.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 20:40 »
This may be the answer
http://www.mastergardenerssandiego.org/faq/item.php?ID=19.

Some are quite bitter until they are cured or ripened properly, either on the vine (preferably) or on a sunny windowledge, so that the sugars develop.

question
FESTIVAL SQUASH

Started by rubyrose on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2010, 23:02
by rubyrose
xx
Sweet Dumpling squash are bitter?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 30, 2014, 09:50
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
Winter Squash

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 05:08
by Paul Plots
xx
Winter Squash

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 10, 2012, 21:39
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 30 queries.